Urgent pump electrical help needed

Feb 8, 2008
Milford, CT
A couple weeks ago our pump/PoolPilot combo had tripped the GFCI breaker (the Pilot has the relay to turn the pump on/off on timer). Didnt think much of it since we had big storms and driving rain, so I reset the breaker and all was well.

Until now....with the Pilot controlling the pump, the breaker trips as soon as the Pilot relay clicks to turn on the pump. You get maybe 1/2 a second of the pump starting and then the breaker pops.

If I remove the leads at the pump, the pool pilot doesnt trip the breaker by itself. I also told it to turn the pump on and off, and the relay clicked but again it did NOT blow the breaker (presumably since there was no load from the pump)

I wired the pump directly to the breaker, which gave no power to the Pilot. Pump ran fine for at least 10 minutes (I stopped it myself since "the trip" always seems to happen instantaneously, I figure a few minutes of the pump running means it will be OK)

Ive disconnected the cell and sensor wiring from the Pilot to rule out the cell taking power, and again breaker still trips.

Im not sure if its tripping because of GFCI or if its because of high load (pump is older, but runs fine when it is running).

So, what would cause the breaker to trip only with the Pilot controlling the pump?

Could it be an issue with the start/start+run cap?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Thanks.

I actually just swapped out the GFCI breaker. Learned the hard way how much of a mess the inside of my circuit panel is (previous homeowner proudly signed and dated when he installed it all....)

So far everything is working as expected. The panel was installed in 1985 and it wouldn't surprise me if the GFCI breaker that was there is from the same time, so it was a good first part to replace.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.