Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Urgent pump electrical help needed

1. Back To Top    #1

Urgent pump electrical help needed

A couple weeks ago our pump/PoolPilot combo had tripped the GFCI breaker (the Pilot has the relay to turn the pump on/off on timer). Didnt think much of it since we had big storms and driving rain, so I reset the breaker and all was well.

Until now....with the Pilot controlling the pump, the breaker trips as soon as the Pilot relay clicks to turn on the pump. You get maybe 1/2 a second of the pump starting and then the breaker pops.

If I remove the leads at the pump, the pool pilot doesnt trip the breaker by itself. I also told it to turn the pump on and off, and the relay clicked but again it did NOT blow the breaker (presumably since there was no load from the pump)

I wired the pump directly to the breaker, which gave no power to the Pilot. Pump ran fine for at least 10 minutes (I stopped it myself since "the trip" always seems to happen instantaneously, I figure a few minutes of the pump running means it will be OK)

Ive disconnected the cell and sensor wiring from the Pilot to rule out the cell taking power, and again breaker still trips.

Im not sure if its tripping because of GFCI or if its because of high load (pump is older, but runs fine when it is running).

So, what would cause the breaker to trip only with the Pilot controlling the pump?

Could it be an issue with the start/start+run cap?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Urgent pump electrical help needed

I would try replacing the GFCI first. You mentioned storms, sometimes lightning damage shows it's ugly face latter when we have forgotten about it.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

3. Back To Top    #3

+1 on replacing the breaker, they fail periodically.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Would I be better off replacing with a normal breaker and adding a gfci outlet inline before the first device?

5. Back To Top    #5

Outlet or breaker...they do the same thing but the outlet is a lot less money. It just depends on how all your wiring is set up and how much hassle you need to go through to move to the outlet GFCI.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks.

I actually just swapped out the GFCI breaker. Learned the hard way how much of a mess the inside of my circuit panel is (previous homeowner proudly signed and dated when he installed it all....)

So far everything is working as expected. The panel was installed in 1985 and it wouldn't surprise me if the GFCI breaker that was there is from the same time, so it was a good first part to replace.