Pump Run Time and Pump Speed

MaLi

Aug 10, 2015
Austin, Tx
I've been told to run my pool pump for 8 to 12 hrs a day. I have a SWG and run the pump on 1900 rpm for 8 hrs and on 2800 rpm for for 4 hrs while the pool cleaner runs. Timer is set for 945 am to 945. Chlorine generator is set for 60% and puts it out at about 2.5 ppm. Is this correct?
Thanks for your help!

62626448c95782f8638714ebf7a15acd.jpg

38d786aced3cd8371e9a97bbbc1693d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a CYA of 80ppm, your FC should NEVER be below 4ppm. Now that is has been too low, algae could be started and consuming more FC.

Always supplement with bleach if you find the FC dropping and then raise the SWG output.

Looks like your SWG should be able to add 9.9ppm of FC to your pool running at 100% for 24 hours. So your current run time settings are adding almost 3ppm. Which should be adequate. I would add a bottle of bleach and see what the FC does over a few days.

Thanks for the advice. Is it better to run your variable speed pump faster for a shorter time period or slower for a longer time period with a SWG. I just can't seem to get over 2.5 or so with my FC regardless of the SWG setting. It seems like I'm constantly adding acid and liquid shock to maintain PH and FC levels.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it better to run your variable speed pump faster for a shorter time period or slower for a longer time period with a SWG.
As long as the SWG run time is the same, it doesn't matter. 50% for 8 hours is the same as 100% for 4 hours.

Are you sure you don't have an algae bloom?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another consideration is if your electric company has a prime/non-prime plan. In Phoenix, prime rates are 4 times as expensive as non-prime, so running the pump only during non-prime saves a considerable amount of money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.