Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Run Time and Pump Speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Run Time and Pump Speed

I've been told to run my pool pump for 8 to 12 hrs a day. I have a SWG and run the pump on 1900 rpm for 8 hrs and on 2800 rpm for for 4 hrs while the pool cleaner runs. Timer is set for 945 am to 945. Chlorine generator is set for 60% and puts it out at about 2.5 ppm. Is this correct?
    Thanks for your help!

In ground pool with pebble tech plaster. 15100 gallons with Jandy 2.0 hp variable speed pump and an Aqua Pure 1400 Fsoft SWG. Has an Ice Breaker heat pump and Jandy cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Run Time and Pump Speed

That is way more pump time than you actually need.

See this and ask a followup if you have questions: Determine Pump Run Time
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm still not sure if I have it right. The pool looks fine and stays clean, but I think I need more chlorine generation.

In ground pool with pebble tech plaster. 15100 gallons with Jandy 2.0 hp variable speed pump and an Aqua Pure 1400 Fsoft SWG. Has an Ice Breaker heat pump and Jandy cartridge filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

What is your CYA? What is your FC level?

If you need a higher FC, then bump up the SWG % output before you extend the run time any more.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Cya is at 80. Chlorine is between 2 and 3.

6. Back To Top    #6

With a CYA of 80ppm, your FC should NEVER be below 4ppm. Now that is has been too low, algae could be started and consuming more FC.

Always supplement with bleach if you find the FC dropping and then raise the SWG output.

Looks like your SWG should be able to add 9.9ppm of FC to your pool running at 100% for 24 hours. So your current run time settings are adding almost 3ppm. Which should be adequate. I would add a bottle of bleach and see what the FC does over a few days.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the advice. Is it better to run your variable speed pump faster for a shorter time period or slower for a longer time period with a SWG. I just can't seem to get over 2.5 or so with my FC regardless of the SWG setting. It seems like I'm constantly adding acid and liquid shock to maintain PH and FC levels.......

8. Back To Top    #8

Is it better to run your variable speed pump faster for a shorter time period or slower for a longer time period with a SWG.
    As long as the SWG run time is the same, it doesn't matter. 50% for 8 hours is the same as 100% for 4 hours.

Are you sure you don't have an algae bloom?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

No bloom, pool is never green or cloudy, I just can't seem to get my numbers right. I ordered a new test kit since I have a generic one.

10. Back To Top    #10

I just can't seem to get over 2.5 or so with my FC regardless of the SWG setting.
    Even when you set the SWG to 100% for 12 hours of run time?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Haven't tried that

12. Back To Top    #12

Another consideration is if your electric company has a prime/non-prime plan. In Phoenix, prime rates are 4 times as expensive as non-prime, so running the pump only during non-prime saves a considerable amount of money.
    ~10K Gallon IG Plaster Pool built in 1996
    AO Smith SQ1152 1.5HP Pump
    Sta-Rite T-240BP-1 Sand Filter (62 GPM)