Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bucking the trend

1. Back To Top    #1

Bucking the trend

I don't understand what's going on. This is like the total opposite of what most people experience with their pools. I seem to be unable to keep my CYA up the last six weeks or so. After riding at 70 ppm for the spring and start of summer, right after the 4th of July my CYA was at 60 ppm. I started using some tri-clor pucks to slowly rise the CYA back up and a chance to cut back on the SWCG and give it a rest for a little while.

So after two weeks of this i tested CYA again and it was down to 50 ppm. So i'm thinking that's not right, so i doubled up on the tabs for another week. Tested after that week and CYA was still at 50 ppm. So at this point i'm down to the last little bit of my flask of CYA reagent so i order a new one thinking maybe this little bit of old reagent is the problem. So after another week of waiting for the reagent to show up and still using pucks, i tested with both old and new reagents and got 40 ppm with both.

So off to the store to get some CYA. Pool math said i needed 49 oz to get back up to 70ppm. Got a 5 lbs can of dry CYA so 49 oz would be just over 1/2 of the can. So not wanting to over shoot i put 1/2 the can into skimmer sock expecting to get at least 60 ppm the next week. Low and behold the next weeks test showed 50 ppm, maybe even 55ppm. So in went the other 1/2 of the can of CYA and tomorrow i will test again.

The first thing i was thinking that my pool has more gallons than i thought. The PB did say that the pool was 16K gallons but i have checked twice now with setting up exactly how the pool was filled and how long it took to fill two 5 gallon buckets and came up with just over 12k gallons both times. I think if you took out the six foot tanning ledge then the pool would be more like 16k gallons. So i'm pretty sure it's not pool size as to why my CYA is not going up like i think it should. I know a little CYA gets splashed out and that a very little bit of it breaks down over time but not almost 30 ppm in a month to month and a half.

Anybody with ideas on why this is happening?
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Bucking the trend

yes, but we need more info to be sure. Please post a full set of test numbers.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have autofill?
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Jojojman, if you makes you feel any better, you're not the only one. My CYA has dropped more than once as well. I've gone through two different manufactures of stabilizer in case it was a bad batch. Just a weird year for me as well. I've had to test CYA LOTS more than normal.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

If you've not been having to add a lot of water then I'm not exactly sure. Like you said it can often take up to a week for the CYA to register correctly. Are you running your pump often and doing plenty of brushing of your pool?

I can't say for certain what is causing your drop but here is a link from someone else who had the same issue that might give you some insight into correcting the issue. Like you said you need to be careful not to overshot CYA because I'd hate for you to add all that then have to drain your water to decrease your level. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...(no-splash-out!)

Sorry I couldn't be of more help but hopefully someone else will come along and help you get it fixed right up. Have a Wonderful Day
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Wish I had that issue, I've been fighting cya of 90-100 all summer. Has only dropped by 10 or so. Trade water with me? Lol

18,500K IG plaster, Pentair FNS+60 DE filter, Pentair Intelliflo VF 3HP, no SWG, Taylor K-2006-C, in Southern California (harsh water restrictions)

7. Back To Top    #7

Red face Re: Bucking the trend

Yes i have an auto-fill but i turn it on only when i see a water level drop. So it's been like a two day on and two day off most of this summer. Not sure what the other numbers will show but here they are:
    FC 5.0
    CC .5
    Ph 7.2 (just dumped almost a gallon of MA yesterday)
    TA 40
    CH 400
    CYA 50 from last week, will check tomorrow. That will be one week from last addition

Even the test strips the PB gave me show the CYA at 40 which i take with a grain of salt. Now i don't brush as much as i should but i still do it pretty often as the tree stuff is blown into the pool quite often and needs to pushed off the tanning ledge and out the corners in the deep end.

Yes Donnie that could help us both out but i think the price of tanking water out to Ca and back to La would be a little high.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Jojojman, if you makes you feel any better, you're not the only one. My CYA has dropped more than once as well. I've gone through two different manufactures of stabilizer in case it was a bad batch. Just a weird year for me as well. I've had to test CYA LOTS more than normal.
    I have been having the same issues. I have gone through a lot of CYA this year. Mine dropped from 60-40 in two weeks. It has been a struggle to keep it up.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.