Should you paint PVC plumbing at equipment pad?

jagger2005

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2014
San Antonio, TX
The reason I am wondering is I had some 3/4 pvc from my sprinkler system that I dug up and left sitting in a pile in the yard. I went to discard it yesterday and notice a lot of "burn" spots on the PVC. Curious if this will happen to my pool plumbing.

If it is a good idea, any particulars about a paint type that should be used?

Sched 40 pvc is pretty UV resistant. It gets chalky and dull looking but it does not lose too much strength. That said, I think it looks VERY nice painted and gives a very professional look if you do a good job.

Just beware that if you (or the next owner) need to do additions or repairs later, the paint has to be removed to glue new fittings on. With whatever paint the previous owner used, I was able to get enough off with acetone, but it was a pain to do.

I can usually tell when a picture of equipment is from Arizona. The PVC is usually damaged from UV. In places that have intense UV, it probably helps. Otherwise, most PVC is not seriously damaged by normal exposure.

I read a study on it. Basically what it said is even if it's left exposed to high levels of UV and it causes that ugly burned look, the damage is very superficial and has little to no effect on its structural integrity. There is a link to the study somewhere around here.

Chief, I think agent99 posted an article that confirms your observations.
Now that I have thought about it,my plumbing has water flowing through it during the heat of the day. Thus the pipe temperature is probably cooler. The dry ones on the ground were very hot when I picked them up.

All, Thanks for all the comments and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have found that old discolored PVC can not be cut with shears as it tends to just snap. So it must harden and become more brittle over time. No idea if paint would help or not. Find this to be true even if it was buried.

I have found that old discolored PVC can not be cut with shears as it tends to just snap. So it must harden and become more brittle over time. No idea if paint would help or not. Find this to be true even if it was buried.

I agree. In my recent backyard/pool remodel, some dug up PVC (likely buried since 1978...initial pool build) was too brittle to shear with my normal cutters and it snapped and broke instead. Interestingly enough, I just moved a bit further down the pipe and it cut just fine. Go figure. I now house all my pool equipment in a plastic Lifetime shed that I erected as part of the remodel. In addition to protecting it from the elements, it also just looks better not seeing the pool equipment. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.