Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should you paint PVC plumbing at equipment pad?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should you paint PVC plumbing at equipment pad?

The reason I am wondering is I had some 3/4 pvc from my sprinkler system that I dug up and left sitting in a pile in the yard. I went to discard it yesterday and notice a lot of "burn" spots on the PVC. Curious if this will happen to my pool plumbing.

If it is a good idea, any particulars about a paint type that should be used?
    Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Should you paint PVC plumbing at equipment pad?

Sched 40 pvc is pretty UV resistant. It gets chalky and dull looking but it does not lose too much strength. That said, I think it looks VERY nice painted and gives a very professional look if you do a good job.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Just beware that if you (or the next owner) need to do additions or repairs later, the paint has to be removed to glue new fittings on. With whatever paint the previous owner used, I was able to get enough off with acetone, but it was a pain to do.
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

4. Back To Top    #4

JM Eagle Short Paper on UV Resistance of PVC

Note that this will automagically download a small PDF file to your computer.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Here in the "Land of Too Much Sunshine" it's standard to paint all pool plumbing.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Some California jurisdictions require painting.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

I noticed my pool equipment ( faces west sun for 7 hours ) was getting real hot!!! Filter felt like it could act like a heater.
    I went to HD and purchased some sail shades

ShelterLogic 12 ft. x 12 ft. Sand Triangle Heavy Weight Sun Shade Sail-25720 - The Home Depot

to cover my equipment ( had room to attach from fence to house ). Now my pool equipment is nice and cool and have noticed water temps down 1-2 degrees.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

8. Back To Top    #8

I can usually tell when a picture of equipment is from Arizona. The PVC is usually damaged from UV. In places that have intense UV, it probably helps. Otherwise, most PVC is not seriously damaged by normal exposure.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I read a study on it. Basically what it said is even if it's left exposed to high levels of UV and it causes that ugly burned look, the damage is very superficial and has little to no effect on its structural integrity. There is a link to the study somewhere around here.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Should you paint PVC plumbing at equipment pad?

Chief, I think agent99 posted an article that confirms your observations.
    Now that I have thought about it,my plumbing has water flowing through it during the heat of the day. Thus the pipe temperature is probably cooler. The dry ones on the ground were very hot when I picked them up.

All, Thanks for all the comments and advice.

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

I have found that old discolored PVC can not be cut with shears as it tends to just snap. So it must harden and become more brittle over time. No idea if paint would help or not. Find this to be true even if it was buried.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

I painted my PVC's. It looks much better.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I have found that old discolored PVC can not be cut with shears as it tends to just snap. So it must harden and become more brittle over time. No idea if paint would help or not. Find this to be true even if it was buried.
    I agree. In my recent backyard/pool remodel, some dug up PVC (likely buried since 1978...initial pool build) was too brittle to shear with my normal cutters and it snapped and broke instead. Interestingly enough, I just moved a bit further down the pipe and it cut just fine. Go figure. I now house all my pool equipment in a plastic Lifetime shed that I erected as part of the remodel. In addition to protecting it from the elements, it also just looks better not seeing the pool equipment.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN