Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt water test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt water test kit

Hello

I am taking over maintenance of my in-ground 37000 gallon salt water pool with a chlorine generator. I intend on following this site's instructions and the first recommendation is to determine my salinity level and adjust it to be slightly over what is recommended by the generator's manufacturer. My issue is I have been able to find solid recommended test kits on this site but have not been able to locate the ideal salinity tester. Does anyone have a recommendation? Test strips vs drops?

Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt water test kit

Welcome. Pretty hard to beat the Taylor K-1766 drop based test.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. I just ordered one online.

Which comprehensive test kit would you recommend out of the five listed on this site

1 TFTestkits TF-50
    2 Taylor K-2006 /Leslie's 81329
    3 TFTestkits TF-100
    4 Taylor K-2006C
    5 LaMotte 7022

It states this for #4&5...The 2006C and LaMotte are geared towards VERY frequent testing (commercial) and contain more reagent than you will probably need, but you should consider them if you REALLY like to test a lot.

also

Only the TF-100 contains the very handy OTO chlorine test.

Is this needed?

Thanks again.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd go for the TF-100

You won't need the OTO chlorine test, but the other half of that is the PH test and you do want that.

I've used it for a year now and only needed more reagent refills for the chlorine fas-dpd tests.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Salt water test kit

Most use the TF-100 as it has reagents stocked in quantities for the tests that you perform the most. The K-2006 is fine too. Add on a SpeedStir and you'll be happy. If you've never done pool testing before, you might find yourself doing a lot of testing in the beginning to "learn" your pool waters behavior. So a TF100 is a good buy.

As for OTO, I never found it to be very accurate or useful. I prefer the DPD test kit, like the K-1001. Others swear by OTO. So it's a bit subjective. OTO or DPD are really just quick daily tests that you do to make sure chlorine is present and you're in the ballpark of where the FC should be. Accurate values only come from using the DPD-FAS tests found in the TF-100 or K-2006.

It's all Taylor reagents anyway, so you really can't go wrong.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

SpeedStir...seriously...totally worth it. I'll admit to it appearing gimmicky to me at first but now I find it almost as important as the TF-100 kit. I even made room in my TF-100 kit to store it and I take it out nightly to polish it. LOL!
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes do get the speedstir. I went about 3 weeks without one at first and the testing was very tedious by comparison.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you all.

I have ordered:
    Taylor K-1766 drop based test
    TFTestkits TF-100
    and the all important SpeedStir!

I look forward to polishing the Speedstir as well!

Off we go.

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP!!!

That is the perfect shopping list
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!