Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hayward heater throwing AC diagnostic code

1. Back To Top    #1

hayward heater throwing AC diagnostic code

When I attempt to fire up the Hayward propane heater it throws the AC diagnostic code after waiting 30-40 seconds.
    I do not hear the fan start up and there's no attempt to to ignite. Its just silent.
    I've power cycled and looked for obvious obstructions to no avail.
    The heater had been working fine up until this happened a week ago. Any ideas?
    22650 gallon in-ground vinyl pool
    Hayward sand filter
    Aqua Rite SWG
    installed 6/25/09

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: hayward heater throwing AC diagnostic code

Which Hayward heater do you have?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

I believe its the Hayward H250FD. Sorry for the late response as my daughter was hospitalized for a while.
    I have replaced the display module since that helped in the past but did not help this time. I have found
    that by power cycling the heater, disconnecting and reattaching the tube connecting the blower
    and the blower vacuum switch, along with some random reconnecting various connections the heater will
    sometimes fire. But subsequent attempts to restart the heater throw the AC code again. When shutting
    off the heater another error code (sorry can't remember what it is) is thrown temporarily but eventually clears itself.
    Hayward sand filter
    Aqua Rite SWG
    installed 6/25/09

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

When the heater goes through the routine to fire, one of the things it does is to check the vacuum switch to make sure it is open Why, the vacuum switch is closed by the fan proving it works so if it is shown closed the code will appear. If the switch is closed there are two possibilities. One is a bad vacuum switch, or a bad main module. Here is the link for the manual.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manu...stallation.pdf
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

5. Back To Top    #5

The diagnostic code is HF when I turn off the heater if that is informative. It eventually clears itself but that is the code I referenced above when turning off the heater.
    Hayward sand filter
    Aqua Rite SWG
    installed 6/25/09