Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Algae problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae problem

Not sure if it is algae but my pool is cloudy and in the filter and on the cartridge there's this creamy white yellowish pieces all my levels are good except for the alkalinity any suggestions I tried algicide

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae problem

Welcome. Algaecide will not fix your problem. Please see how to SLAM your pool in Pool School.

I give up. Where is Grunthal!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

So I guess SLAMing your pool means shocking it? How often do you add the chlorine shock? I have the liquid

4. Back To Top    #4

Grunthal is near steinbach

5. Back To Top    #5

Also how much do I use each time I slam it I have 16000gal above ground pool

6. Back To Top    #6

To answer your question about how much to shock (or SLAM in our case), we need to know your CYA level based on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. DO you have any way to test your CYA level?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds dumb but is cya stabilizer?

8. Back To Top    #8

That's correct. Stabilizer and/or conditioner use the active ingredient "Cyanuric Acid" or CYA.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

9. Back To Top    #9

Sorry I'm new to all of this

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Kiikii1986 View Post
    Also how much do I use each time I slam it I have 16000gal above ground pool

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    As mentioned, thst depends upon your test results in addition to your pool particulars. Do you have a proper test kit?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a test kit I went and got my water tested today but I'm not sure what cya is

12. Back To Top    #12

Oh k Cyanuric acid now I know it's actually low it's at 0ppm

13. Back To Top    #13

Don't worry about the questions. Everyone here is happy to assist. But about your testing:
    - What test kit do you have?
    - How or who did your water testing?

14. Back To Top    #14

I have strips and urban life checked my levels

15. Back To Top    #15

To increase CYA from zero to 30 ppm for your 16K pool, you will need to add 4 pounds of granular stabilizer. To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, simply place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator (4 lbs) into a white sock and suspend it near a return jet. You can squeeze the sock occasionally to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, it may take about a week for the CYA readings to fully adjust.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, based on your location, it may be difficult for your to obtain your own (proper) test kit. But at some point you should check here at TFTestkits.net. The TF-100 is highly recommended. I have it and love it.

16. Back To Top    #16

Stabilizer is chlorine right lol

17. Back To Top    #17

OK great!

18. Back To Top    #18

So KiiKii, here's your situation....we are assuming you will be increasing CYA from zero to 30 w/ 4 lbs of stabilizer. It takes a few days for that to register on testing, but we'll assume that is going to be your new CYA level. To fix your water, you need to follow the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. It consists of raising your FC level (base on your new CYA) to an FC of 12 until you meet 3 requirements:
    1. Water is clear
    2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
    3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
    ** You MUST meet ALL 3 items above to properly do a SLAM. Simply “spiking" the FC higher than normal isn't SLAMming, therefore there’s a good chance your algae will return.
    The main issue right now is I don't think you don't have a way to test the FC at that higher level without the right test kit.

Specifically, you need the "FAS-DPD" power & drops testing portion which can be obtained from TFTestkits.net.

- - - Updated - - -

To answer your last question .. No, stabilizer comes in a separate container marked "Stabilizer or Conditioner". Chlorine will be found at your local grocery store as regular liquid bleach. We rely on this regular liquid bleach as our primary method of sanitizing the water without any residual side effects. It works great when used in the proper amounts as noted above.

19. Back To Top    #19

I also have a kit with drops but it only tests chlorine levels and ph

20. Back To Top    #20

The stabilizer, once added to your pool via the sock method above, serves as a type of sunscreen for your bleach (free chlorine) to protect it form the sun. That's why this Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart is so important. Notice on that chart how you adjust your FC based on the current CYA? There is a "target" level, and a "SLAM/Shock" level. We will need you to maintain the "SLAM/Shock" level to clear your water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast