Algae problem

Aug 10, 2015
Grunthal
Not sure if it is algae but my pool is cloudy and in the filter and on the cartridge there's this creamy white yellowish pieces all my levels are good except for the alkalinity any suggestions I tried algicide

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To increase CYA from zero to 30 ppm for your 16K pool, you will need to add 4 pounds of granular stabilizer. To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, simply place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator (4 lbs) into a white sock and suspend it near a return jet. You can squeeze the sock occasionally to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, it may take about a week for the CYA readings to fully adjust.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, based on your location, it may be difficult for your to obtain your own (proper) test kit. But at some point you should check here at TFTestkits.net. The TF-100 is highly recommended. I have it and love it.

So KiiKii, here's your situation....we are assuming you will be increasing CYA from zero to 30 w/ 4 lbs of stabilizer. It takes a few days for that to register on testing, but we'll assume that is going to be your new CYA level. To fix your water, you need to follow the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. It consists of raising your FC level (base on your new CYA) to an FC of 12 until you meet 3 requirements:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
** You MUST meet ALL 3 items above to properly do a SLAM. Simply “spiking" the FC higher than normal isn't SLAMming, therefore there’s a good chance your algae will return.
The main issue right now is I don't think you don't have a way to test the FC at that higher level without the right test kit.

Specifically, you need the "FAS-DPD" power & drops testing portion which can be obtained from TFTestkits.net.

- - - Updated - - -

To answer your last question .. No, stabilizer comes in a separate container marked "Stabilizer or Conditioner". Chlorine will be found at your local grocery store as regular liquid bleach. We rely on this regular liquid bleach as our primary method of sanitizing the water without any residual side effects. It works great when used in the proper amounts as noted above.

The stabilizer, once added to your pool via the sock method above, serves as a type of sunscreen for your bleach (free chlorine) to protect it form the sun. That's why this Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart is so important. Notice on that chart how you adjust your FC based on the current CYA? There is a "target" level, and a "SLAM/Shock" level. We will need you to maintain the "SLAM/Shock" level to clear your water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.