Dollar Tree Bleach

Dollar stores are notorious for having old/expired stock. I don't buy anything that doesn't have the hypochlorite % on the bottle. That stuff is usually 5% or 3% or less. Check the bottle for a manufacturing or expiration date. Many times it's a number like 15186, meaning it was produced on the 186th day of 2015.

I have heard that a good rule of thumb is that if the strength isn't listed then it is probably around 3%. If you want to do an experiment then measure your FC, add this, and then measure again an hour later. Your FC increase will tell you what the strength is.

I agree with the above posted. You can google the product and look at the MSDS page and it will give a range of what the percentage is.

There's a 'bleach prices 2015' thread around here somewhere you should look for Bridgetgirl. Its a great thread to follow and gives you a good idea of the 'lay of the land' including these so-called dollar stores and their old 3% bleach ;)

The one in the smaller (96oz) bottle is only like 1% according to the MSDS we were able to find.
They also have a different one at some DTs that has 128oz. I use it and find it to be at least 6% but sometimes higher. Nobody else agrees with me on this one. For the 128oz. ones the datecode is on the cardboard case they come in. I have a SWG so I don't use it much. Just for those times when I have extra debris or extra people in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.