Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dollar Tree Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Dollar Tree Bleach

Has anyone used Dollar Tree bleach? It's significantly cheaper than Walmart's. It doesn't list any ingredients though. It's 96oz for $1.00 & Walmart's is 121oz for $3.00. Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16,800 gal AG-Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    Hayward SP 1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series 1-1/2 Hp
    Installed: August 2006
    TFT test kit TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dollar Tree Bleach

Dollar stores are notorious for having old/expired stock. I don't buy anything that doesn't have the hypochlorite % on the bottle. That stuff is usually 5% or 3% or less. Check the bottle for a manufacturing or expiration date. Many times it's a number like 15186, meaning it was produced on the 186th day of 2015.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I have heard that a good rule of thumb is that if the strength isn't listed then it is probably around 3%. If you want to do an experiment then measure your FC, add this, and then measure again an hour later. Your FC increase will tell you what the strength is.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, thanks y'all.
    16,800 gal AG-Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    TFT test kit TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree with the above posted. You can google the product and look at the MSDS page and it will give a range of what the percentage is.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

6. Back To Top    #6

There's a 'bleach prices 2015' thread around here somewhere you should look for Bridgetgirl. Its a great thread to follow and gives you a good idea of the 'lay of the land' including these so-called dollar stores and their old 3% bleach
    33x15' INGROUND pool roughly 14,800 gallons. liner, hayward multiport, sand filter (S-210S), pentair century 3/4hp pump (1081) & 320 automatic chlorinator. skimmer at one end of pool, 2 returns at the other.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

The one in the smaller (96oz) bottle is only like 1% according to the MSDS we were able to find.
    They also have a different one at some DTs that has 128oz. I use it and find it to be at least 6% but sometimes higher. Nobody else agrees with me on this one. For the 128oz. ones the datecode is on the cardboard case they come in. I have a SWG so I don't use it much. Just for those times when I have extra debris or extra people in the pool.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

here you go bridget. in fact pabadear is a frequent poster in this thread

Bleach Prices 2015
    33x15' INGROUND pool roughly 14,800 gallons. liner, hayward multiport, sand filter (S-210S), pentair century 3/4hp pump (1081) & 320 automatic chlorinator. skimmer at one end of pool, 2 returns at the other.

9. Back To Top    #9

I bought some $1 bleach and it took several phone calls (website of distributor said the chlorine concentration was a "trade secret" whaaat? Anyway, they were 2.75%. Used it but bought grocery store bleach.

Karen
    19300 gal, AG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair Dynamo two stage pump, 5 yr old Hayward Vari-Flo sand filter, pool 14 yrs old, well water, testing with Taylor K2006

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you for all the responses! Thanks nyvram for the link!
    16,800 gal AG-Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    TFT test kit TF-100