GL-235 with no power and a possible blown capacitor

Mar 21, 2011
Well I am finally home from travel for the past 3 months and decided to take a dip in the pool. Well, I put one foot in and realized to was too cold. I went and checked on the Solar controller, and sure enough, there were no lights on. When I flipped the switch on the actuator value to "Open", the valve moved to the open position, so it looks like power is getting the actuator from the panel, but the actual circuit board and controller are not functioning to open and close the actuator. I took a look at the circuit board, The fuse looks good, but it looks like capacitor C11 might be blown out. It is a small surface mount cap right above the fuse and to the side of a resistor. Does anyone know the value for C11? Has anyone else had an issue with this component, or is there another component I should be looking at?

Tom

Sorry I can't help with this, but I do understand what you are going through, I lost a solar controller a couple of years ago to a lightning strike, lost a TV and some other stuff at the same time. I tried replacing a couple of blown capacitors but they just blew again when power was applied, I then bought a cheaper version of the same controller I had, and transplanted the main board, which turned out to be a bit of chore as the cheaper version turned out to have an unpopulated header connection for the timer board in my unit. Why they would bother saving a couple of cents on header pins vs having 2 sku's for main boards is beyond me, but they did. I know this does not help much with the GL-235, just wanting to give you a bit of cheering up to know you are not alone.

Sounds similar to what might of happened with me. This might be related to a day about a week ago when my wife informed me that we had no internet service. When I got home, I found that the router, cable modem , and a network switch were all toast. Some sort of power surge happened I guess.

Well the good news is that it still seems to be under its 5 year warranty. I have a call out to Hayward and we will see what happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.