Discrepancies in Levels for SWG Free Chlorine Numbers

john.esher

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Havertown, PA
Today I entered a few days worth of data into Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log. It was there that I noticed the target FC level of 10
for my CYA of 70. I thought according to the CYA/Free Chlorine chart, I should be targeting about 6.

I'm trying to figure it as I approach the target so I can turn the SWG back on. I will give another day to drop if I should be at 6, or turn it on tomorrow morning of I should be at 10.

My numbers:

August 13, 2015 @ 20:40

• Temperature: 74
• pH: 7.4
• Free Chlorine: 11.5
• Combined Chlorine: 0
• Cyanuric Acid: *
• Total Alkalinity: 100
• Calcium Hardness: **
• Sodium Chloride: 2600

*The last reading for CYA was 70, taken 8/6 before I ran out of reagent. More on order.

**The last reading for CH was 110, taken 8/11 - not monitored all the time due to the AG vinyl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The suggested FC levels in my Graphical Testing log are based on those found in PoolMath. It seems there's a slight discrepancy between PoolMath and the CYA/Chlorine chart.

I wonder if PoolMath and my spreadsheet should be adjusted to more closely follow the chart?

The high end of the range is not a Target so does not match the Pool School target column. It shows 10 for 70 ppm CYA regardless of SWG or using Bleach. I'm not sure how the high end of the range was calculated since it does not appear to be a fixed percentage, but it's higher than the Target in Pool School and the Target is not very meaningful anyway. One simply has to always stay at or above the minimum so one's own target for their pool is whatever it takes so that they don't go below the minimum before their next dose of chlorine.

ChemGeek - That last sentence is very interesting. I've been wondering about that. Thanks for the clarity. Too many times I see folks get too caught up in the numbers and formulas and charts and ...
This is supposed to be troublefree. All the resources are there to guide us towards understanding our pools. But they are really just guides. The pool is the final judge. Give it want it wants and it will be great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.