Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Autofill and pad design help: new pool in SoCal

1. Back To Top    #1

Los Angeles, CA

Autofill and pad design help: new pool in SoCal

I am very new to this forum, and this is my second post (thanks JVtrain for your very helpful response to my first post).

I am planning on installing a Levelor electronic autofill with a standpipe sensor near the equipment pad. I wanted some feedback regarding running a totally separate autofill pipe from the water supply to the pool vs. using the mfg recommendation of teeing the water supply to the regular return lines. Any comments on the enclosed plumbing schematic and pad layout would be most welcome. I am trying to keep the equipment area as narrow as possible.

As a first-time pool owner-builder, I have learned a great deal from this forum - thanks!

Last edited by bravowren; 08-14-2015 at 01:02 PM. Reason: fix image
    38x11 IG rectangular shotcrete w/ integrated 6x6 spa, CoverPools auto cover. Main pump Intelliflo VS, Spa pump Pentair XF VS, Pentair 400KBTU heater, 520SF Cartridge Filter , Flowvis, Pentair SWG, Levelor. 10x Waterway power storm jets. EasyTouch automation, Intellibrite LEDs.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Jose, CA

Re: Autofill and pad design help: new pool in SoCal

Isn't Sketch-Up awesome?! I did the same as you fitting in all my pool equipment into a defined area (5x8 plastic Lifetime shed). I see we share some of the same Pentair appliances: pumps and heater and intellibrite lights. Pentair has a fair bit of my money! LOL

As to your auto-fill question, I plumbed out a line from my house to the pool shed to use for the auto-fill (I have a mechanical/float type) and I also put in a hose bib for convenience. It is nice having water at the pool shed to do various tasks.
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

3. Back To Top    #3

Sugar Land , TX

Re: Autofill and pad design help: new pool in SoCal

I have a Pentair autofill that is next to pool. It gets it's water from a pipe that is run to the main water supply line. Works great, but your PB idea of teeing in to a return would work also. I would just price the two out.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8