Sand filter

No. The rate it will filter depends on your pump size. Generally filters list the maximum flow rate that you should use . But in reality the lower the flow rate the better the filter will work.

Your math indicates that the filter is CAPABLE of filtering at that rate I think. Just depends on the flow rate it is being fed. Any pump higher than that is a waste. Again, a little slower is better.

So if I am reading brandon1's post correctly he has 3.14 sq ft of filtration area and his acceptable (max, sort of) rate is 20 gpm x 3.14 for 62.8 gpm. Is that right?

That also means that any pump pushing more than 62 gpm into that filter is overkill, too, right?

The 63 GPM might be the design limit for public applications. I know some filters give a rating that gives the maximum allowed rates for public pool code. Usually a private pool can run higher flow rates. But again, slower is usually better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.