Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA question

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA question

Hey everyone,
    I've been a big fan of this site ever since we got our first AG pool. With our IG we have now, I have a question about my CYA level. I have it at 50 now and am wondering if that will be enough to protect my FC. My pool has no shade whatsoever and gets full sun for a majority of the day. I live in the high desert and temps have been over 100 for the last week with the same coming for the near future. Should I be shooting for maybe 60 with my CYA? My FC is sitting at 7 right now (everything tested with TF-100 kit). Should I wait and test it again later to see what my loss is? Thanks for the help that I know is coming with this.
    20x40 ft. IG plaster pool, 26,850 Gallons, chlorine, Jandy Stealth Pro Series pump, Clear O3 ozonator, Nature2 Fusion, cartridge filter
    Rock slide/waterfall, raised spa with spillway into pool, 6x40 ft reef that's 18-inches deep, 30,000 BTU heater, TF-100 test kit to check it all

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA question

You have a Nature2 Fusion, which you are using for a SWCG right? If so, I would certainly bump your CYA to 60 or 70 and check the SWG of the CYA/Chlorine chart for what you should aim to maintain your FC at daily. It would be a good idea to test your daily (sunshine) chlorine loss now so that you can compare after you raise your CYA.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I have a Nature2 Fusion, but I removed the cartridge from it. It's not attached to an SWG, though. It's a chlorine generator that uses pucks. I don't use any of them. They're just there for looks . I use good old fashioned bleach/liquid chlorine for this puppy!
    20x40 ft. IG plaster pool, 26,850 Gallons, chlorine, Jandy Stealth Pro Series pump, Clear O3 ozonator, Nature2 Fusion, cartridge filter
    Rock slide/waterfall, raised spa with spillway into pool, 6x40 ft reef that's 18-inches deep, 30,000 BTU heater, TF-100 test kit to check it all

4. Back To Top    #4

Ahh... I thought it was one of those SWCG/Mineral pack combo units. I'd measure your daily loss at 50 ppm to see where you're at. If it's 3 or more FC loss, I'd consider 60 ppm.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Copeyboy View Post
    Yes, I have a Nature2 Fusion, but I removed the cartridge from it. It's not attached to an SWG, though. It's a chlorine generator that uses pucks. I don't use any of them. They're just there for looks . I use good old fashioned bleach/liquid chlorine for this puppy!
    My PB includes the Nature2 Fusion as part of his install. I guess this is OK as I might use the puck side when we're away.

Can you just remove and toss the cartridge? Does it seal back OK?

Thanks.
    Build thread
    IG Gunite w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, 18K gallons 500sqft
    Jandy: 60 DE filter, 2.0 VS (main pump), 2.0 Flo Pro (features)
    Paramount PV3 w/ 1.5 Stealth, PDA PS6, JXi 400K NG
    Flagstone coping & wall. Stamped Concrete from BrickForm. TF-100 w/Speed Stir.