Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Northern Alabama- When Do You Close? Or Do You Close at All?

1. Back To Top    #1

Northern Alabama- When Do You Close? Or Do You Close at All?

I keep going around and around about this...I don't know if we should do a full close of our pool or if we should just cover it. This is our first pool. It doesn't get super cold here in the winter, but I definitely want to keep the leaves and debris out.

I know there are some other members here from Alabama. What do you guys do?
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Northern Alabama- When Do You Close? Or Do You Close at All?

I've left it open, covered it and kept the pump running and fully closed it. I recommend fully closing it as soon as the temps get low enough. I use a leaf blower to keep the leaves blown off the cover.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey, Dave. Thanks for the reply.

What kind of cover do you use?

I'm leaning towards something like this instead of the Loop-Loc, only because our concrete decking couldn't handle the Loop-Loc system right now.

Arctic Armor Winter Pool Cover for 20 Rect I/G Pool - WC752 - INYOPools.com

The only issue is that we have the metal ladder on the side that is bolted into the concrete and won't budge. Hmm...Husband says we can just cut the cover to go around it, but that will leave about an 18 x 12 inch gap..
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I use something on that order and if you keep the water pumped off and the leaves blown off it'll work pretty well for you.

Your ladder is anchored in sleeves set into the concrete and the legs may be stuck, but should come loose with a little persuasion and some penetrating lube. If you can't get them loose you can cut slits in the cover around the legs and it'll still work pretty well.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit