Question about returns in older pool

Sep 26, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pool is around 20 years old and has 3 returns. They appear to be simply PVC piping with no threading whatsoever and no obvious way to mount anything.

One of the returns has a circular cosmetic face plate surrounded the pipe, but it is missing on the others (some crumbling plaster surrounding the outlet where the face plate was).

What are my options for installing eyeballs (or similar)? Most of the return fittings I've found have the 4-screw mounting rings or are designed to simply screw into a threaded PVC pipe.

Some people will try to retrofit some typical eyeballs on such pipes. Others will leave alone for adding PVC accessories such as a home-made fountain to help cool the water. Some may even use those return pipes for pressure-assisted vacuuming. Lastly, you can always just purchase a simply 45 degree PVC elbow to adjust circulation a bit of you like. Just a few thoughts that may help. Have a nice day.

Best deals and largest selection of PVC sch40 and sch80 plumbing fittings

Try this. It is a unique fitting that fits INSIDE a pipe (internal spigot) on one end (1.5" for you most likely as that is the most common for return lines) and it'll extend out to the pipe (spigot) size (regular 1.5" pipe, for example). Now you have accessibility of the pipe and can do whatever you need. The only issue I see is the returns sticking out too far so YMMV. What you really need is internal spigot x slip so that you could glue a threaded bushing in there as Dave suggested. As far as I know, there are no bushings that glue INSIDE a pipe...they must glue inside a fitting (slip).

However, perhaps instead of pipe you have a fitting there? That would be ideal because then you could glue a bushing into it that is threaded and then be all set.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.