Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about returns in older pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about returns in older pool

My pool is around 20 years old and has 3 returns. They appear to be simply PVC piping with no threading whatsoever and no obvious way to mount anything.

One of the returns has a circular cosmetic face plate surrounded the pipe, but it is missing on the others (some crumbling plaster surrounding the outlet where the face plate was).

What are my options for installing eyeballs (or similar)? Most of the return fittings I've found have the 4-screw mounting rings or are designed to simply screw into a threaded PVC pipe.
    ~10K Gallon IG Plaster Pool built in 1996
    AO Smith SQ1152 1.5HP Pump
    Sta-Rite T-240BP-1 Sand Filter (62 GPM)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about returns in older pool

Some people will try to retrofit some typical eyeballs on such pipes. Others will leave alone for adding PVC accessories such as a home-made fountain to help cool the water. Some may even use those return pipes for pressure-assisted vacuuming. Lastly, you can always just purchase a simply 45 degree PVC elbow to adjust circulation a bit of you like. Just a few thoughts that may help. Have a nice day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Yeah, if all you have is pvc pipe, then you'll have to work with pvc connections. What size is the pipe? Perhaps you can insert some threaded bushings to give you more oprtions.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I also have straight pvc for returns in my older pool. I found these - they have an expansion connector on one end for connecting to the straight pipe and the other end has a threaded connection. They have worked well for me:

POLARIS 1 1/2IN STUB PIPE CONNECTION KIT - 9-100-8003
    TF-100 Test Kit
    22,000 gallon, 20x40 kidney-shape IG plaster pool built in 1986
    Nautilus NS-36 DE filter, Hayward Self Prime Super Pump 1HP
    Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaner, PB4-60 3/4 HP pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Best deals and largest selection of PVC sch40 and sch80 plumbing fittings

Try this. It is a unique fitting that fits INSIDE a pipe (internal spigot) on one end (1.5" for you most likely as that is the most common for return lines) and it'll extend out to the pipe (spigot) size (regular 1.5" pipe, for example). Now you have accessibility of the pipe and can do whatever you need. The only issue I see is the returns sticking out too far so YMMV. What you really need is internal spigot x slip so that you could glue a threaded bushing in there as Dave suggested. As far as I know, there are no bushings that glue INSIDE a pipe...they must glue inside a fitting (slip).

However, perhaps instead of pipe you have a fitting there? That would be ideal because then you could glue a bushing into it that is threaded and then be all set.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN