chemistry of closed/winterized pools

Hi Johnny (sorry for the poor joke in your into post :oops: )

Testing the water while the cover is on in the winter isn't really necessary if you've kept up on the chemistry all summer and properly closed. However, some folks still find they'll open to a green pool, so those folks should peel back a corner of the cover and test the water 1X/ month while the pool is closed and dose accordingly. If they choose to dose the pool, they usually use a submersible pump to provide circulation.

This is the quick explanation of it - if you've further ?s, just ask them :)

"they usually use a submersible pump to provide circulation."

So no care to any small amount of water in the pipes or skimmer.

Like what an electrical cord & a garden hose is attached to to drain an area, but in this case leave the hose in the pool?

This time next year you guys will have me nealy a pro at this. So my guess is I ought to start testing 1 month before opening, while the temperature is quite cold, & then balancing upon opening will be a snap- just a guess. Accurate or no?

Never too many jokes; never a "poor" joke if they are about me- no worries.

Thanks

A properly closed pool would have no water in the pipes (but would have some anti-freeze) and the skimmer would have the line clear of water, some anti-freeze and some sort of compressible material in the body of the skimmer housing to absorb ice expansion.

If that's the type of submersible pump you have, it will do the trick with the outflow hose directed back into the pool water.

To be honest, if I were you - I wouldn't worry about it at this point :) After you truly open the pool we can talk you through any green nasties you may see (I also said that you do this if you've kept up on the chems the season before and properly closed the pool).

I appreciate that you are learning a lot here and are wanting to DO something with the pool to help it be ready to swim in... but 1 major part of BBB is POP (pool owner patience) - -- have yourself a sup of POP and deal with the pool when it comes time to open it :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.