Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising Chlorine for Party Weekend How Much?

1. Back To Top    #1

Raising Chlorine for Party Weekend How Much?

I've seen mention of raising chlorine when there will be heavy pool use. This weekend will be one of those weekends as well as a 1 yr old in the pool. So what percentage to most raise their chlorine for heavy use?
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raising Chlorine for Party Weekend How Much?

How many people do you expect to have and how long will they be in the pool? Every person-hour in a 28,000 gallons uses around 0.038 ppm FC so even to use 1 ppm FC extra chlorine would take 26 person-hours. So unless you are having a bunch of urinating kids, just bumping up the FC a little should be plenty. Your pool is large enough to handle a moderate bather-load easily.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

There will be 10 adults and an 1 yr old (so I imagine a little wiz will enter the pool) probably a total of 80 hours entire weekend.

I run my SWG at 70% for 9 hr each day, should I just kick it up to say 80% and increase the run time to say 12 hours and would that cover me?
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

4. Back To Top    #4

I would just keep the SWG the same and "borrow" a couple of cups of laundry bleach to raise the chlorine level. Use Pool Math (or Pool Pal on Android) to get the right amount.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Each adult is going to spend 8 hours in the pool? Now that is a party!

Assuming you are correct that is a total of 3 FC demand. The far easier solution than messing with your SWG is to add a gallon of chlorine a couple hours before the party.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    Each adult is going to spend 8 hours in the pool? Now that is a party![/i]
    That's over three days (Fri - Sun) so I'm figuring an average of just under 3 hours a day will be 107 - 109 over the weekend so when they're not out on the Vegas Strip we'll more than likely be around the pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Well in that case it really does sound like my kind of party

Since it is a 3 day deal I would suggest a half gallon Friday morning and another half gallon Sunday morning. Your SWG should take care of the rest. If you test daily then you will notice if that isn't enough and can add more to help your SWG along (and politely ask the baby to stop peeing in the pool).
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    Well in that case it really does sound like my kind of party

Since it is a 3 day deal I would suggest a half gallon Friday morning and another half gallon Sunday morning. Your SWG should take care of the rest. If you test daily then you will notice if that isn't enough and can add more to help your SWG along (and politely ask the baby to stop peeing in the pool).
    Yes will be testing daily, in-fact this Saturday I'll be doing the full battery of tests anyway so I'll know what's going on.