Pink algae

Aug 13, 2015
Trinity,NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am a new pool owner and I had everything going just fine until forgot to add tablets before week vacation but got That taken care of with help from Leslie's pools and new chemicals. Now have this new algae that looks like sand or dirt but when I brush it it looks pinkish red. Seems like it all started when I started using this stuff recommended by Leslie's called weekly plus could it be what's causing this. I have cleaned, brushed and shocked and it seems like I remove it all and I go back 10 minutes later and it right back and worse. Any suggestions my pool is 18x30 above ground and I have sand filter pump. Water is clear as can be right now just has this stuff on bottom and when we swim it starts floating around.

Welcome to the forum. :wave: We are proponents of self-testing and self-management of your pool water. If what we teach is interesting to you, I suggest you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School for starters. That'll give you an idea of the basics and you can decide if you want to go this route of learning and managing your pool.....we'll keep you out of the pool store, for sure.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I looked on Leslie's website and can not find a product called "weekly plus". Was it perhaps "Perfect Weekly"?

Seeing that you have a sand filter you could try to vacuum to waste and remove that stuff when it is settled on the bottom.

How do you currently test and chlorinate your pool? I'm going to guess that you are using "pucks" in a floater or your skimmer, guided by pool store results.

We can get you the clear, clean & Trouble Free pool you want, but you will need to do a few things first.

1) Order a proper test kit & stop relying on the pool store. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison. The TF-100 from TFTestkits.net is the most economical kit, especially with the XL option. I use the Taylor K2006.

While I'm sure the employees are friendly, and appear to really want to help, their vision is clouded up with chemical company rhetoric, and their bottom line is to sell products, lots of products. We have seen (too many times) the stories of new pool owners who don't understand how their pool could be cloudy & green after the hundreds of $$ worth of chemicals they have been using, as suggested by a pool store.

2) Spend some time reading thorugh Pool School. Start with "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry". It will help "bring you up to speed" on what you should know about caring for your pool.

3) Never be afraid to ask questions if you are unsure of something, especially when it comes to adding chemicals to your pool. We all have the same goal here, a Trouble Free Pool!

4) Add your pool info into your signature, it will save you from the same questions over and over.

I've been down the Pool Store road, two years in a row before I found this site. Chemical after chemical, dollar after dollar, with the same result at the end of the season- a pool so "jacked up" that I would need to drain and start over.

This year I found TFP, and the results are amazing. The only thing I do to my pool is test & add chlorine once a day, brush every time I'm in the pool, and vacuum when the bottom gets dirty, or about every ten days or so. The hundreds of dollars I saved this year went into a Solar Heating system, and I could not be happier.

Order a recommended test kit now, you will not regret it. In the meantime get out there and vacuum out that junk Leslie's had you add & read through Pool School.

As Dave mentioned, we are all about self-testing/self-management of your pool.

Dom

I have been using the testing kit that came with my pool but I did order the one recommended should be here Monday. I'm scared my cya level is going be so high and i can't afford go drain I have a well and water cost around $800 for a refill. I have been using pucks from Walmart Clorox brand the only chemical I bought from Leslie's was shock, weekly plus and water clarifier.
My water right now is clear as day you can seem from one end to the other that's what I'm having trouble understanding how can algae form it the water when if looks so clean.
I just purchased a new automatic vacuum today I was using a pool blaster very rough on the back.
So I guess I should wait to add any more chemicals until I know what exactly I'm dealing with?
Or should I add some bleach to the water just go prevent this from getting worse till I can properly test?

Add a gallon of bleach every evening. Use the plain unsented kind, no ultra or splashless. Check the label for chlorine %, it should be 8.25%. Stock up, your going to need it.

No more chlorine tablets. No clarifiers, algaesides or other magic potions.

You have caught your pool at the very early stages of an algae bloom, and it's good that you did. The reason you see algae is because somewhere along the way your CYA level got ahead of your FC level. Your pool looks clear because the bloom is just starting. Algae will multiply very quickly, start beating it up now by brushing the pool, especially where you see algae. You don't want it to develop a film 'skin' that will shield it from the chlorine. Start running the filter 24/7 to keep the water moving.

Go go to Pool School and read up on how to do a SLAM.

Can you please enter your pool details into your signature? It will really help.

Have you looked over Pool Math?

BTW- If your pool is an 18 foot x 30 foot oval with 4 feet of water your water volume is about 14,100 gallons, 14,000 is close enough.

Dom

I have been using the testing kit that came with my pool but I did order the one recommended should be here Monday. I'm scared my cya level is going be so high and i can't afford go drain I have a well and water cost around $800 for a refill. I have been using pucks from Walmart Clorox brand the only chemical I bought from Leslie's was shock, weekly plus and water clarifier.
My water right now is clear as day you can seem from one end to the other that's what I'm having trouble understanding how can algae form it the water when if looks so clean.
I just purchased a new automatic vacuum today I was using a pool blaster very rough on the back.
So I guess I should wait to add any more chemicals until I know what exactly I'm dealing with?
Or should I add some bleach to the water just go prevent this from getting worse till I can properly test?
How are you doing with this? You should have received your test kit by now?

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.