New pool owner, first time SLAMing, am I doing it right?

ducky

Aug 12, 2015
Chester VA
This is my first post. I finally registered on the site, but I've been reading for some time now, thanks to some good friends at work who directed me here and told me what test kit to get! I am currently fighting algae using the SLAM process, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Progress seems very slow. I started SLAM on Sunday, but since I work Mon-Fri, I am only able to test water in the morning before work and in the evening after work (roughly 10 hours). Today is Thursday, and the water is still green, but it does appear to be a lighter green. Is this normal? The CYA test each day is between 40-50, and I use pool math to add chlorine each day to keep my FC at 20-22. I test every morning and every evening, and the FC is never below 18, so I just keep adding chlorine (per the pool math) to get it back up to 20-22. I brush the sides of the pool every evening, and clean the cartridge every day. Is this what I'm supposed to be doing, or am I missing something?

I had the same problem when I opened this year green algae and bad, I mean a neglected green pond bad. I followed the instructions as you are doing now. It took a long time to clear, nearly a month but it is so beautiful now it almost does not look real. Keep up the good work and soon you will have the same result !

It is normal for progress to be slower if you can only check on the pool a few times daily. You can try running just a bit higher FC levels. The usual recommendation when your CYA measurement is between two numbers is to round up, which means you should SLAM for a CYA of 50. If you aim to never let FC go below 20, you're more likely to keep the algae on the ropes, and eliminate it more quickly.

If you can squeeze in one additional pool visit before bed, that may help, as will more frequent checks during days off from work.

Thanks so much everyone for the advice! MarianParoo, I did remove the ladder and there was green gunk under the bottom of the legs. I will continue SLAMing and testing...it's the weekend now, so I will be able to devote more time to it. I'll be scrubbing and vacuuming a lot more. And I will target a higher FC as singingpond suggested. You all have given me hope, thanks again. I am determined to beat this!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.