Autopilot Digital and Tristar Variable Speed Pump

My PB is preparing to install my Autopilot Digital SWG and Tristar variable speed pump. I just want to double check the install is done correctly. What is the recommended installation method for both the pump and SWG? I noticed a manual timer with with other materials to be installed... I didn't think a manual timer was necessary?

I believe you are correct, reading the manual for the Dig-220 the control panel has a relay and the Tristar has some programmable contact closure points. So the Dig 220 should be able to start the pump at whatever speed and duration you choose. Just connect the 2 unis with some low voltage wire. That being said if they want to give you a timer why not take it? You can always use it for lights or something.

I believe you are correct, reading the manual for the Dig-220 the control panel has a relay and the Tristar has some programmable contact closure points. So the Dig 220 should be able to start the pump at whatever speed and duration you choose. Just connect the 2 unis with some low voltage wire. That being said if they want to give you a timer why not take it? You can always use it for lights or something.

I spoke to AutoPilot today... there is a relay but it has to be specified when ordering. The part number for the relay is APK004. They did say they could provide me with one at no cost.

I would suggest Hayward automation with a T--15 cell instead of the Autopilot.

I already signed the contract and the equipment is at my house ready to be installed. From my research, the AutoPilot is a better unit but also more expensive.

I was on phone with AutoPilot yesterday and learned that the Dig-220 can control pump but only if it is a single or two speed, variable speed is not compatible with the Dig-220 and will require a separate timer.

That is strange, I just spoke to AutoPilot technician today and he told me that I could control my VS pumping as long as I had the relay APK004.

That is strange, I just spoke to AutoPilot technician today and he told me that I could control my VS pumping as long as I had the relay APK004.

I am in the process of contacting a pool (first) for my home and glad to hear that a VS can be interphase with DIG220 by simply adding the APK004 relay, not sure why the tech I talked to there was less informative. Please post your progress as I'm about a 5-6 weeks out and would rather not reinvent the wheel.

I'M trying to select equipment also. I've been reading every thing I can on the new builds. Have you any picture's yet or just beginning. I see your in Florida. Are you going to install heat/chill unit. I was talking to another Floridian and he said he wished he had.

The variable speed pump should be wired directly to power and turned off and on through it's own timer, or through your controller. The AutoPilot will not be able to wired so that it cycles on and off with the pump. Therefore, it will rely on the flow switch to turn on and off. However, it's not the best method to ensure that the cell does not turn on accidentally when there's no flow, which can cause hydrogen gas accidents.
I would suggest using the ONE SPEED PUMP mode to program the AutoPilot to cycle on and off. That is, when you program PUMP PROGRAM 1 on and off to synchronize when the pump is on, it will ensure that the unit cannot activate the cell with the pump off.
Contact me for instructions on how to do this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The variable speed pump should be wired directly to power and turned off and on through it's own timer, or through your controller. The AutoPilot will not be able to wired so that it cycles on and off with the pump. Therefore, it will rely on the flow switch to turn on and off. However, it's not the best method to ensure that the cell does not turn on accidentally when there's no flow, which can cause hydrogen gas accidents.
I would suggest using the ONE SPEED PUMP mode to program the AutoPilot to cycle on and off. That is, when you program PUMP PROGRAM 1 on and off to synchronize when the pump is on, it will ensure that the unit cannot activate the cell with the pump off.
Contact me for instructions on how to do this.

I'm getting close to starting things up. I would really appreciate it if you could provide the instructions that you previously offered.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.