What Chlorine?

Calcium Hypochlorite is commonly used but it comes with some baggage. If your CH is high already, it is a definite no-no. Even if your CH is not high Cal Hypo can easily cloud a pool and take some time to clear. It does not dissolve readily so it can lay on your pool floor for a while.

It continually adds CH to your pool until your CH is too high.

Over and over, we preach that liquid chlorine is the absolute best and purest way to deliver chlorine to your pool........unless you get an swg.

The only other powder that doesn't have CYA in it has Calcium instead. Can your pool stand to have calcium added?

Liquid chlorine adds only chlorine and a teeny bit of salt (not that you'd probably ever notice) so its the best bet, unless you wanted to use a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG). Those are pretty darn convenient and no jug lugging!

I have an issue with high CYA. Just read the book on the Dichlor I use and it says includes stabilizer. What CL should I use to keep the FC correct but not add more stabilizer? I would prefer a powder and not have deal with liquid bottles.
None of us use bleach because we love to lug around heavy weights or get a kick out of the occasional bleach spot on our clothes :)
We do it because the convenient solid chlorine products all carry unwelcome baggage with them. That is a fact of chemistry, not just somebody's arbitrary marketing decision (i.e. to get a solid material containing chlorine, you have to have another chemical in each molecule - they aren't just mixing two piles of dry powder together and packaging the result).

I believe there is also a lithium hypochlorite product out there, but not much discussed - it is apparently very expensive.

RE: Jug lugging
Really no big deal. I go out to the pool daily anyway to test and view my clear water
Once the pool is stabilized most people add a portion of a jug daily, how much depends on CYA & strength of bleach/Liquid Chlorine. In my case it's about a half to a third of a gallon a day. I guess the only lugging i do is buying 3-4 case of LC to have a 4-6 week supply. I'm now a certified Bleach Bum.

I believe there is also a lithium hypochlorite product out there, but not much discussed - it is apparently very expensive.
Yep, Li-hypo is technically a viable solution. It is a solid form of chlorine that does not add calcium or CYA to the water. Pound for pound it is weaker than even the cheapest cal-hypo (4.2ppm/lb/10,000 gallons vs 5.7ppm/lb/10,000 gallons for 48% cal-hypo) and costs twice as much. So it is by far the least cost efficient option for chlorinating your pool. An SWG would be a better option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.