Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Coping is cracking around pool???

1. Back To Top    #1

Coping is cracking around pool???

I have a vinyl liner about 5 years old coping is cracking in different areas. Should I remove loose concrete and repatch ?? What type of concrete do I use??
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    Jacuzzi laser sand filter
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Coping is cracking around pool???

Wantboost, your going to have to give much more information for someone to be able to help you out. Upload some pictures, tell us where the patches are needed and what you are looking to do..

hope that helps...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

4. Back To Top    #4

You don't give us an overall shot of the pool so it is not clear exactly what is going on.

That is really not a coping--its more of a pour strip. Does your pool have metal walls? Or is the liner attached to this strip of concrete?

I would not patch. If what you say is true and this strip is only 5 years old then something is causing this to happen. Most likely freeze thaw cycles but we don't know that. Patching will only result in more cracking. The concrete is tearing itself apart.

I would remove the whole pour strip and re-pour with a couple of rebar pieces for support-- tie them together every say 18 inches. Sort of like a bond beam. Well not sort of --- a bond beam.

Or you could pour strips along each wall and leave expansion joints at the corners.

As for concrete-- Whatevers on sale at Home Depot or Lowes will work. I would buy something like Quickcrete High Strength but its probably not necessary here.

If the liner is directly attached to the concrete then its a lot more involved.

You should clean out and replace your existing expansion joints.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

I ll take a while pic soon. Honestly I just wanna patch I might sell the place

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

from the pictures it looks like this was already "patched" and the pictures are what happens when this type of patch is used... did it take 1 or 2 years to look like this?
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

I think if you dont want to do a full renovation, and if you're considering selling the place, then you might look into something like Quickrete Patch for concre or masonry. That might be about the best you can do without spending a lot of money. Concrete patch is easy enough to use. You will need to remove the loose stuff in order to apply the patch and you should be able to add some color to it in order to make it look the best you can.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    from the pictures it looks like this was already "patched" and the pictures are what happens when this type of patch is used... did it take 1 or 2 years to look like this?
    Agreed it absolutely looks like it was patched already in many of those pictures. Better pictures of the entire pool would help.

I would get a mason to look at it.
    24X44 IG Vinyl Custom Shaped Pool, Starite S7M400 Cartridge Filter, Starite Sumpermax VS Pump, built July 2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, NG Starite SR400 Heater, Easytouch with Screen Logic, Magicstream Laminars, Bullfrog A7 Spa

9. Back To Top    #9

Is Concrete holding liner?? I assumed they patched it when they installed liner???

10. Back To Top    #10

????

11. Back To Top    #11

If you click on each pic it opens to a bigger pic for better viewing. What I see is a big trip hazard by the steps that will have to be fixed in some way if you are thinking of selling the house.

As for the coping strip. I do not see any way to patch it and make it look good. It will look like a patch and that will lead to other questions.

I would take up the whole strip and repour with the rebar like stated above.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

That cracking is terrible. I've had a lot of concrete work done in the past, mostly sidewalks. It appears they used a hot load of concrete to pour your decking. It will deteriorate more in a very short time.

I wouldn't pay and would insist on it getting it completely ripped out and replaced.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    That cracking is terrible. I've had a lot of concrete work done in the past, mostly sidewalks. It appears they used a hot load of concrete to pour your decking. It will deteriorate more in a very short time.

I wouldn't pay and would insist on it getting it completely ripped out and replaced.

Oops. Sorry. Posted this in the wrong thread