Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filling the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Filling the pool

Anyone asked the fire department to come do it? My dad said that's how he filled his pool years ago. I've never heard of this.
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filling the pool

Not exactly sure, but I've heard it's sometimes prohibited.

I'd love to do that when my new liner gets installed, got a fireplug right on the corner in the front yard.
    Would probably fill that hole right quick.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

That is how my parents did it back in the mid 90's. I believe it is much more likely if you ask a volunteer fire dept since they are always in need of extra cash. I hear for city dwellers you can often get a meter attached to a hydrant and fill it yourself and the city will bill it to your water account. Best way to find out is to make some calls.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Our city FD will do it for the cost of the water (municipal rate) plus a donation to the FD. Usually a $75+ donation. I'd do it for sure when I have to install a new liner.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll call tomorrow. Should I call the city or stop by a station?
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

If you live in an area served by a VFD, I would stop by one that is manned.

It sounds like a good idea to me!
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

Just talked to the mayor. They can't do it for liability reasons. Dang!

8. Back To Top    #8

stopping by your station would be more fun (eye candy hehe).

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    stopping by your station would be more fun (eye candy hehe).

Kim
    Haha! Maybe I'll go in an just make sure!
    🏻🏻🏻🏻

10. Back To Top    #10

The town I grew up in allowed it. We would "borrow" the hose from the department for a $100 donation and then you paid the town for the water based on the size pool you had. It was very convenient.

The town we live in now has no hydrants so we will be buying water by the semi truck load.

ac

11. Back To Top    #11

People in our more rural areas get theirs trucked in from local truckers who fill from water towers. If you're not too urban, may be worth a shot.

12. Back To Top    #12

Looks like the water/sewer utility where I'm moving to offers those "one time discount for significant water usage" so I'll just
    go with that to fill my pool when the liner is done & call them. Slower to fill, but much less costly.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

13. Back To Top    #13

My city waives the sewer fees when I tell them I'm filling the pool in the spring since that water will never go in the sewer. Sewer fees are what makes water expensive. I believe last time I put 6000 gallons in my pool it cost me about $20.00 in water.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

14. Back To Top    #14

I have a lawn sprinkler system that is fed by a separate meter, which does not get billed for sewer, so I use a connection off of this to fill the pool if needed. Maybe call the water/sewer company to see if you can get some sort of temporary meter....
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

15. Back To Top    #15

Local water service adopted new tiered rates this year, so at the high end (above 6,000 gal I think) the cost is $13/1000gal. A recent bill that included 8,000 of a partial fill was $150; several years ago I filled the entire pool and it was only $168. A full fill now would be about a $350 bill by my estimation. When I did the full fill, the city didn't offer a refund of the sewer charge which is ridiculous IMO.

I don't think the FD will fill here, but haven't asked.

I did call a water delivery company. Their trucks haul 2,400gal and it's $150/truck. So for my pool, $1500 delivered.
    Brent / 24k gal / 16'x36' IG / Dura Glas II 1.25hp / 55 sqft DE filter / CircuPool Si-45 / TF-100 kit

16. Back To Top    #16

It should be interesting when my water bill arrives. They bill every 2 months. The pool company had two hoses in mine, wrapped a rag around the end along with an empty water bottle and it took almost 24 hours to fill up my 25k gallon pool. It actually went faster than I thought. This was for the new Pebble Sheen finish I had applied.

I think I picked probably the worst time to decide to redo my pool what with the drought and new restrictions and all. sigh
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN