Safe to swim during SLAM?

Aug 12, 2015
Teutpolis, IL
We just bought the house with a pool and only have a couple usable weeks left and have been fighting cloudy water and now and turned green overnight. Test kit was ordered so still waiting no it to arrive and figure we are going to have to start a SLAM as soon as it does but my kids will want to swim as much as possible since our usuable pool weather is nearing the end. I know our CYA level is way too high as previous home owner used pucks but too late to drain it now and just trying to make it as usable as possible for the remainder of the summer.

So when is it safe or not safe to swim? Can the kids swim during SLAM process?

It is safe to swim as long as you can see the bottom and your FC is above your minimum level, and below your SLAM/Shock level based on your current CYA. The big problem that I can see is that you have no way of really knowing what that CYA really is. :( The ideal thing to do is confirm your CYA when the test kit arrives, adjust your FC with bleach so you know for sure what those numbers are. And as long as you stay below the SLAM FC level, swimming is fine.

I just want to parrot Texas Splash, we are also VERY strong proponents that if you cannot see the bottom of the pool then it is NOT safe to swim. The FC is completely safe up to SLAM level, it is so highly buffered by the CYA so even at SLAM you are at a lower active chlorine level than an indoor public pool with 3 FC and no CYA in the water.

Yep, it is safe to swim when,
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
Chlorine is above minimum level and below shock level for your CYA
Chlorine CYA Chart
The water is clear

I am a big fan of swim-n-slam if your water is clear. It is a lot easier and cooler to brush every day from inside the pool.

Reactions: Michelle22
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.