Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safe to swim during SLAM?

1. Back To Top    #1

Teutpolis, IL

Safe to swim during SLAM?

We just bought the house with a pool and only have a couple usable weeks left and have been fighting cloudy water and now and turned green overnight. Test kit was ordered so still waiting no it to arrive and figure we are going to have to start a SLAM as soon as it does but my kids will want to swim as much as possible since our usuable pool weather is nearing the end. I know our CYA level is way too high as previous home owner used pucks but too late to drain it now and just trying to make it as usable as possible for the remainder of the summer.

So when is it safe or not safe to swim? Can the kids swim during SLAM process?

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Safe to swim during SLAM?

It is safe to swim as long as you can see the bottom and your FC is above your minimum level, and below your SLAM/Shock level based on your current CYA. The big problem that I can see is that you have no way of really knowing what that CYA really is. The ideal thing to do is confirm your CYA when the test kit arrives, adjust your FC with bleach so you know for sure what those numbers are. And as long as you stay below the SLAM FC level, swimming is fine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Jose, CA

Ugh, I wouldn't do it. Swimming with all that algae in there and dosing it with high amounts of chlorine...not a good soup to wade in, me thinks.
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4
    NW Ohio

I just want to parrot Texas Splash, we are also VERY strong proponents that if you cannot see the bottom of the pool then it is NOT safe to swim. The FC is completely safe up to SLAM level, it is so highly buffered by the CYA so even at SLAM you are at a lower active chlorine level than an indoor public pool with 3 FC and no CYA in the water.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Yep, it is safe to swim when,
    PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
    Chlorine is above minimum level and below shock level for your CYA
    Chlorine CYA Chart
    The water is clear

I am a big fan of swim-n-slam if your water is clear. It is a lot easier and cooler to brush every day from inside the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach