Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Whats wrong with pool math?

1. Back To Top    #1

Whats wrong with pool math?

TA was at 70 and set goal at 80 on Pool Math. Added the 1 pound 12 ounces of baking soda Pool Math said to add with pump and APC running tested an hour later now I got TA of 120. What's up with that?

Rick T.
    12,000 gallon IG Kidney shape,gunite,white plaster w/25% blue quartz (Chlorine)
    Jandy LED Multi-color pool light, ,Pentair VS Pump,Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter,Polaris 280 Cleaner
    TF-100 test kit, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speed Stir, BBB Method, PoolMath, TFPC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Whats wrong with pool math?

I checked the calculator on my end and also got 1 lb 12 oz for your 12K pool.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah it raised it 50ppm instead of 10ppm. Next time I will only add one third and see what I get. This is only the second time I had to add baking soda to raise TA this summer.
    Rick T.
    Jandy LED Multi-color pool light, ,Pentair VS Pump,Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter,Polaris 280 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

I recently added baking soda for my 25k pool with the intention of raising the TA from 70 to 90.

I added just a bit under 3 quarts of baking soda going with the volume scale.

My reading came back at 100 so close enough but I did expect 90.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Agent99 View Post
    I recently added baking soda for my 25k pool with the intention of raising the TA from 70 to 90.

I added just a bit under 3 quarts of baking soda going with the volume scale.

My reading came back at 100 so close enough but I did expect 90.
    Yeah, I weigh mine with a very precise scale. Ozeri Microban scale from walmart
    Rick T.

6. Back To Top    #6

I would double check your TA test and make sure that you don't have static electricity on the dropper tip that is squirting drops instead of having well-formed hanging drops. Wipe the dropper tip with a damp cloth first. There's no way that 1 pound 12 ounces of baking soda (about 2.8 cups) added to 12,000 gallons increased TA by 50 ppm. The PoolMath calculation is right. Something else is wrong at your end -- the TA test, the pool size, or the amount of baking soda actually added.

Also, if you tested too soon in the area you added it, then you could be measuring a locally high TA area and instead need to wait 30 minutes with good pool circulation before measuring.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"