Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding a drainpan under my sand filter...

1. Back To Top    #1
    Rocky Mount/Virginia

Adding a drainpan under my sand filter...

Every time I have to open my filter to replace a lateral, or check for tunneling, I get leaks at all point of connection coming out of my filter. Eventually, they either fill in with grease, grime or grit and seal up, or I apply a little silicone sealant to the threads. I have 2 pvc unions on the in and out line, and these are the usual culprits. Also, the retaining ring under the multiport like to bleed too, but I usually put sealant around that.

Has anyone ever set their filter inside a drainpan, similar to what you would use under a hot water heater, to catch any water that would leak out and return by temporary hose back to the pool? I think next time I have to break down my filter I'm gonna try this, was wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

I'm leak-free now, had to loosen the last union and hand-tighten, then gradually tighten with rubber-strap wrench until drip stopped.
    14,000 gallon Fox Lagoon, ingound vinyl
    PacFab Sand filter
    installed April, 2002
    Frog inline chlorinator
    Town water

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Adding a drainpan under my sand filter...

That's not a bad plan but i have been fortunate not to open my filter except once in 9 years for a repair.

That said, my filter is inside a garage so a deep cleaning and inspection of the sand makes a real mess. being able to even capture that water in a drain pan and get it outside is worth thinking about
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School