Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: calcium scaling

1. Back To Top    #1

calcium scaling

My pool guy just told me that if I was going to be using an SWG (and I am), that I need to buy a chlorine thingy to prevent calcium scaling. He has been wrong about everything else up to this point, so I just thought I would check here. I am doing a search now and have already read about calcium scaling in Pool School and it appears that calcium scaling has more to do with PH and keeping my levels good.

What was this calcium thing he was referring to anyway?
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: calcium scaling

Huh? I have *no* clue what that pool guy is talking about?!?

To prevent calcium scale just don't let your calcium level get too high and learn when to balance higher calcium with pH control. Fiberglass pools need minimal calcium so it shouldn't be an issue in the first place.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Who knows????? He just wants to sell you something else

ANY idea if it was something to put chlorine pucks in?

I am going to give you a link that should help you.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

That is ALL we use.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Yippee, I knew this guy was an idiot. I can't wait until they finish my pool so I can stop listening to their nonsense Today he offered to take care of my pool when they are finished and I was like, "uh, no"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Who knows????? He just wants to sell you something else

ANY idea if it was something to put chlorine pucks in?

I am going to give you a link that should help you.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

That is ALL we use.

Kim
    He made it sound like it was an inline attachment that was meant to be put before the SWG so that calcium doesn't build up on the plates or something. Who knows, guy is an idiot. Luckily I found this place months ago
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner