Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Long term downtime of pool pump, what should I be doing to prevent algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Long term downtime of pool pump, what should I be doing to prevent algae?

So far I've had no issues (knock on wood), but my pool has more or less had no pump running since around July 20th. I was able to get my pump running again after replacing the motor, but then ran into another motor problem a week later. It's been a week now that the pump hasn't run much more than a couple minutes at a time.

Tested last night: 7.4 pH, 3.0ppm FC, 0.0ppm CC. Added a good bit of chlorine lat night and it's up to 5.5ppm FC today with 0.5ppm CC.

Water looks like and blue, and very clear. What, if anything else (besides adding chlorine nightly), should I be doing or be aware of? I hope to have a warranty replacement pump up and running by Saturday at the very latest.
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Long term downtime of pool pump, what should I be doing to prevent algae?

Brush the pool daily for sure. If you have a robot, run that every day as well to keep things mixed up. There's another activity that keeps the pool circulating as well... SWIMMING! With lots of cannon balls!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons