Aug 13, 2015
Easton, PA
I have SWG pool. 25k gallon. Just tested levels
FC-1.5
TA-120
PH-8
Calcium-200
CYA:30-50

Had a heavy rain a couple of days ago, so added some shock. PH a little high, so added some muriatic acid right after shock. A couple of minutes later I noticed a dark "stain" at the bottom of the pool. It followed the path I poured the shock and acid. I tried brushing the stain, but nothing. It appears that the shock and acid had a reaction and settled at the bottom of the pool. I have added the shock and acid before in this manner and have not had an issue. Why would this happen? Will the stain go away? Is the pool safe to swim in? Very concerned about this. It is an in ground, Gunite pool. Any insight is greatly appreciated!!!

Shock- HTH brand (47.6% calcium hypochlorite)
Tester - used HTH 6 way test strip and Taylor DPD chlorine tester. Both read ~1.5 ppm.

I just read something that suggested that calcium hypochlorite mixing with metal (copper or iron) could turn a pool surface bottom. Could this be the issue? I have never had an issue with metal in my pool before.

Well, it's 20-20 hindsight but NEVER add chemistry like that. Always add it in front of a return (pump running).

So the Cal-hypo was a powder....did you make a slurry before you poured it?

The muriatic acid was 31.45%, correct?

That problem has not been reported here before but I don't remember it being done back to back in those apparent concentrations.

The pool is certainly safe to swim. The worst case is the acid damaged your pool surface and the stain is permanent. Best case is it may go away in a few days. I can't think of anything you can do now to fix it either way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.