Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello All. New home owner with a pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello All. New home owner with a pool.

Purchased the home in Jan of this year. Read a lot on here before becoming a member. So far it's head scratching because just when I think I have the Chlorine, PH on check there is other things. Right now it looks like my CYA is in the 100's so I'm loosing FC so I have to add Chlorine every 2-3 days. Also my SWG was saying low salt so I added salt and now I'm high on salt about 6000ppm. So I shut down the SWG and just been adding liquid chlorine since we are in a drought here in Southern California (Baldwin Park area) and don't want to finned for draining to much and refill.

Any advice on what I can do? I've drained about 1-2 feet of water and refilled last night but have not tested the water as of yet.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello All. New home owner with a pool.

How long are you running your pump each day and what is your SWG output set at before the high salt issue?

What test kit are you using?

Any issues with water clarity?

Post full test results once you can:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Running my pump 8 hrs a day from 9 a.m - 5 p.m

SWG out put was set at 80%

Just received my kit K-2006C but need to get familiar on how to use it.

Water is clear

I will test it tonight and post results of test.

4. Back To Top    #4

FC 5.6
    CC 1.6
    PH 7.8
    TA 260
    CH 460
    CYA UN sure can't even get to the 100

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you mean when you perform the CYA test the dot disappears with very little sample water added to the tube?

If yes, you can do a diluted test by using half pool water mixed with half tap water (since tap water is CYA free) then perform the test and double the result.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Do you mean when you perform the CYA test the dot disappears with very little sample water added to the tube?

If yes, you can do a diluted test by using half pool water mixed with half tap water (since tap water is CYA free) then perform the test and double the result.
    So if understood correctly cya was 80x2 my salt is also high 6000ppm so I have to drain and refill but how much? Thanks
    CYA 160?

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

Drain about half. That will get CYA to 80 and salt to 3000 ppm which are both OK.

Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

Drain about half. That will get CYA to 80 and salt to 3000 ppm which are both OK.

Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    OK so I guess the good thing my back yard leads to a park that closes at around 9 p.m. so half drain my pool is about 18k gal gal. Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

Another question. Is there any other way to go about it? So I don't drain to much water? Don't want to get a fine since we are in a drought. Thanks