too much stabiliser

Mar 27, 2009
I have a 26000 gallon pool. I have just started to clean the water for the summer season.
My ph is correct, there is no algae, but the water is cloudy (milky). Recently I added about 20 chlorine choc tablets but the next day there was no chlorine reading at all. I had the water tested at my local pool suppliers with electronic equipment and was told that I must drain my pool due to too much stabiliser. As the water in France is very dear how much water do I have to drain , or better still is there any way round draining? Any help appreciated.

Bonjour! 8)

Welcome.... :wave:

If you haven't already done so, check out Pool School, and start with this article
pool-school/read_before_you_post

It's important for us to have as much information from you as possible, specific numbers helps us more than "the ph is correct" because "correct" to the pool store fellows may mean something else entirely to us....

I understand your water woes, BTDT. Depending on your actual CYA/Stabilizer number, we can advise you better.

It is a below ground pool with vinyl liner. It is 26000 gallons. Salt water but the chlorine maker has not worked for two years. It has a sand filter . I don't know the size of the pump but am told it is well within the range of the size of the pool. Unfortunately I only have a cheap water tester for chlorine and ph readings.

Hi, Pete,

Welcome! I know it's frustrating but it is impossible for us to offer accurate advice without test results......they will reveal where your water is out of balance and allow us to suggest a cure. We could stab a few guesses but there are a hundred reasons why water is cloudy and guessing would only frustrate you more.

If your pool store won't share their results with you, I would go to another one that will. You need results for FC, CC, pH, TA, and CYA (stabilizer).

Better yet, if it's in your budget, purchase a test kit that will allow you to test for yourself.....believe it or not, it will be more accurate than the "electronic" testing.

As you read more on the forum, you will find that testing is essential to clearing your pool and understanding why it happened and how to prevent it.

I realize I sound sorta' like a commercial but there are really only two viable test kits on the market that will do what you need without being completely out of price range. The Taylor K-2006 and the TF-100 that I manufacure.

Either thru your own testing or a good pool store test, post up those numbers and you will get lot's of good help here. :-D

What duraleigh said. I reccommend a test kit from TF Test Kits, see the link in my signature. The Taylor K-2006 is also good. A top quality test kit will save you money in the long run and more than pay for it's self.

Can you buy regular liquid bleach in France?

Using regular bleach won't add more stabilizer to your water. The higher the stabilizer result of your water, the higher the chlorine has to be in order to be effective.

That is the reason you NEED to know the results of your water test.
Test results can change within hours due to weather (at least the chlorine results)
This is the reason you NEED your own test kit.

To get my water back in balance when I have a problem, I sometimes test 3-4 times in a row. (Waiting a few hours between adding my chemicals, in order for them to be mixed in good)

Some problems take longer to fix, some problems will NEED new water. Like too high readings of stabiliser or salt.

Hi again,
I've managed to get some test results from my pool supplier.
They are,
ph - 6.65
TA - 97
TC - 0.07
CYA - ppm 200 plus
I don't know if this helps.
anyway thanks to everyone who has replied.
Also, I cant buy a decent test kit from any of my local stores. In France if it's not French they generally won't sell it. Where can i buy online?

Hi, Pete,

That testing was done with strips and a computer analysis. Suprisingly, it's not nearly as accurate as you will get when your kit arrives. (Thanks!)

All indications do point to your pool being overstabilized, however. That has been caused by too many of what you referred to as "chlorine choc tablets". Here in the states we refer to them as "pucks". Essentially, while they add chlorine to sanitize your pool, they also add stabilizer (CYA) which permanently stays in your pool and continues to accumulate each time you put the pucks in.

More often than not, the only cure is to drain a large portion of your water and put in fresh water to dilute the CYA down to a manageable level. If you've been reading pool school that manageable level is around 40-60ppm.

The CYA tests, electronic or not, are only accurate to 100ppm so the 200+ reading you got simply means you have a lot of CYA.

Your water can be cloudy for many, many reasons but the first problem you'll most likely have to solve is the CYA excess. The CYA simply renders the chlorine ineffective when you get too much of it in your pool. You will need to find another way to add chlorine to your pool. The purest, simplest solution is regular household bleach. I'm not sure what concentrations it is available in France so keep us posted as to what you can get and we'll suggest what makes sense.

Read everything you can on the basics of pool water chemistry in Pool School (on the homepage) The knowledge you'll gain there is what this BBB thing is all about. No secret ingredients....just good water testiong the knowledge to understand how to get it balanced.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
french pete said:
Where can i buy online?

http://www.tftestkits.com/

ships "anywhere in the world-except Canada"...

This is the kit I have and it was the best investment in my pool I ever made. BTW, I found TFP when I was desperately searching for answers to my pool troubles, turns out I had too high CYA also so I'm familiar with your situation.

So if I were you I'd do some draining, inquire about finding liquid chlorine nearby, and order yourself a test kit. Your PH is too low. Start reading the Pool School articles and bringing your water into balance.

Hope this helps! :wave:

You can get an automated chlorine dosing system (peristaltic pump) from the Pool Guy in France here. I don't always agree with his postings on a French forum, but the product itself should be good. I don't know what it costs, however. You always have the option of just adding chlorine manually yourself, but I thought I'd let you know of an automation option in your area.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.