Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Pump Leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Pump Leak

Long time lurker here. Couldn't own a pool without it. I recently purchased a 1.5 HP Hayward Power-Flow Matrix pump on Craig's List for 50 bucks. Seems in good shape. Runs well, however, there is a strong leak where the strainer housing marries the pump housing. I am unfamiliar with this pump, but it seems that the strainer housing simply slides on the pump housing shaft and is locked in place with a C clip. There was no gasket on or near the shaft. I purchased one and tried it in various places but to no avail. I feel like I'm missing something simple. Is there another way to lock this water tight? Where might the gasket go to help? Might there be something missing? Any advice is welcome.

Here is the area of which I speak:

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Hayward Pump Leak

Possible crack that's hard to see?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hayward Pump Leak

There was a crack that had been apoxied. I tested that overnight with water and it held. However, I found an old flatter and wider toilet gasket that I placed around the motor housing shaft, slid the C clip down and it held the water. Best 50 bucks I've ever spent. Thanks for getting back to me.