Conversion progress

Jul 21, 2015
OH
Started my conversion process on Monday, August 10, 2015. Today, Thursday, August 13. I finally saw a faint pattern on the bottom of my pool. I never did see a "plume" of colors but my cartridge filter rinses out a lot of "brown muck" every time I clean it. I am heading out this morning for more bleach. I have used 37 gallons of 8.25%. My counts this morning were:
FC-9 (down from 13 last night)
CC-2
PH-7.6
TA-220

I feel like I am heading in the right direction. Is it safe for me to get in the pool to vacuum? I have been brushing the sides and as far as I can reach with a brush and vacuum. Staying the course.

Need to know your CYA level to know whether it's safe to swim. If it's at 30 ppm, you're just fine. Anything below 12 FC is safe for swimming as long as you can see the bottom.

EDIT: Just realized your doing a Baq conversion. I would say that it's relatively safe to get in the pool at those FC levels, but I'd certainly shower immediately after getting out and wear swimming gear/clothing you don't exactly like...

Can you please tell us what you've done so far with the Baqua conversion. Unless you've completed the processes as listed in the Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine article then you do NOT want to add any CYA to the water. Doing so will only slow down the conversion. If you have yet to add any stabilizer to the pool then your CYA level will be zero at this point, as it was not used when you were using Baqua to maintain your pool. As for swimming in the pool, the Baqua conversion is one time when I would HIGHLY suggest you avoid getting in the pool at all as there are many things going on that you want to avoid. First the FC levels are VERY high for no CYA and will likely irritate skin. Second off, the CC levels are often rather high which also will likely irritate your skin.

Can you please post your current FC and CC levels along with a current photo of the water. From here we can further assist you getting rid of Baqua forever.

Can you please tell us what you've done so far with the Baqua conversion. Unless you've completed the processes as listed in the Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine article then you do NOT want to add any CYA to the water. Doing so will only slow down the conversion. If you have yet to add any stabilizer to the pool then your CYA level will be zero at this point, as it was not used when you were using Baqua to maintain your pool. As for swimming in the pool, the Baqua conversion is one time when I would HIGHLY suggest you avoid getting in the pool at all as there are many things going on that you want to avoid. First the FC levels are VERY high for no CYA and will likely irritate skin. Second off, the CC levels are often rather high which also will likely irritate your skin.

Can you please post your current FC and CC levels along with a current photo of the water. From here we can further assist you getting rid of Baqua forever.

Started conversion on 8/10. Have used 41 gallons of bleach to get to this point. I had added a gallon of bleach before I read your reply...sorry. My readings this morning are: FC-8, CC-1, PH-7.4, TA-200, CYA-didnt register, so I assume 0. Have to leave for an appointment so didn't get pictures uploaded. Will do that when I return.

Today: readings at 8 am were: FC-8, CC-1, PH-7.4. TA-200, CYA-0
readings at 7:30 pm were: FC-.5, CC-1, PH-7.4

Monday-8/9 before starting conversion file:///Users/hollyharford/Desktop/IMG_0997.JPG
Sunday-8/16 7 days into conversion file:///Users/hollyharford/Desktop/IMG_1001.JPG

Your FC levels are too low by almost half. The conversion process clearly states the you need to maintain an FC of 15ppm. Have you been maintaining 15ppm? The less FC you maintain, the slower it will go. You also need to make sure you get any lights out of their niches as the baqua-goop hides everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have no lights or any other places where bacqua goo can hide. I am rinsing my filter regularly. I will add more bleach. I used 4 gallons today but was doing every hour during the day until Friday. At last count I was up to 45 gallons. I have never seen 15ppm. Highest has been 9.

I have no lights or any other places where bacqua goo can hide. I am rinsing my filter regularly. I will add more bleach. I used 4 gallons today but was doing every hour during the day until Friday. At last count I was up to 45 gallons. I have never seen 15ppm. Highest has been 9.

45 gallons does not surprise me. There were two threads earlier this season for Baquacil-to-chlorine conversion that used way more than that.

But herein lies your problem - you are not reaching the proper FC level and holding it there. At half the recommended level for the conversion process, you're only ensuring that this will drag out longer than it has to. You need to get the FC up to 15ppm and hold it there as best you can.

I realize that it seems scary to add gallons of bleach at a time, but without sufficient FC in the water, the oxidation rate of the Baquacil is going to be too slow. In the beginning of these conversions, people are typically asked to set aside time (like a weekend) dedicated to babysitting the pool water and testing it as much as every hour in the initial phases because the chlorine gets used up so fast. Typically people are dosing and testing hourly until the FC starts to hold for longer than few hours. At 15ppm FC and 0ppm CYA, you have a sufficient level of hypochlorous acid to oxidize the Baquacil but not do any damage to pool liners, so don't overshoot 15ppm too much.

Thanks. I am on it today. Babysitting the pool. Heading out for more bleach. I had a lot of Baqua in my pool. Way up on the testing strip for Baqua pools. I am not surprised about how much it is taking. I am home everyday, so I can babysit it more. Will keep posting my stats.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.