Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concentration of bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Concentration of bleach

Good morning! I am having a hard time finding the concentration of bleach in any store. Can anyone tell me how you determine this? Is it possible that the concentration is listed on the bottle in the US, but not in Canada?

Thanks!
    15,500 gallons, vinyl, AG. Sand filter, 1 HP Hayward pump, installed June 2015, Taylor K-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concentration of bleach

Experience tells me that if it isn't listed on the bottle (store brands mostly) it ain't what you're lookin' for. Usually 3% for cleaning chicken coops and such!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Canada doesn't require it to be listed. We have had other discover the same thing. Do some searching around the site and I'm sure you'll find good info. Maybe look at the thread called Bleach prices 2015.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses!
    15,500 gallons, vinyl, AG. Sand filter, 1 HP Hayward pump, installed June 2015, Taylor K-2006.

5. Back To Top    #5

If all else fails, call the manufacturers and see if you can get it out of them. If that fails, you'll need to do the bucket method and test it for yourself to figure it out. Fill up a bucket with a known amount of chlorine-free water and add a known amount of your bleach and then test it with your kit. You'll want to do the FAS-DPD (Chlorine Drop Test) test for high accuracy.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I used the tub one time out of curiosity. C/P:

I found a gallon jug and timed how long it took to fill. 8 seconds. At first I was going for 50 gallons but my tub wasn't big enough. So I halved everything to 25 gallons.

8 x 25 / 60 = 3.33 minutes or 3:20 to get 25 gallons in the tub.

Pool math said add 0.3 oz of 12.5 bleach for FC of 10, 11, 12, and 13 so I figured 12 was close enough to the middle to avoid rounding error. Using the TFT vials I eyeballed 8.8 ml (.3oz) of bleach, did the test and got 22 drops (11 FC)
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, I've only been north of the border a couple of times, but everyone says you can get everything at Canadian Tire. From reading posts here, that includes liquid pool shock, AKA higher % pool chlorine.

Check them out and see if they still have it.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Well, I've only been north of the border a couple of times, but everyone says you can get everything at Canadian Tire. From reading posts here, that includes liquid pool shock, AKA higher % pool chlorine.

Check them out and see if they still have it.
    +1
    They have 10.8%
    Aquarius Liquid Chlorine, 5 L | Canadian Tire
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017