NJ USA
past 3 days the Green algea is trying to come back here are some #s
FC 10
CC 0
TC 10
PH 7.2
TA 30
Calcium Hardness 210
I floowed the pool calulator and added goods to bring the TA up to 90 and PH to 7.8 the water is a bit cloudy due to algea but i still see the floor of the pool ant thoughts ? can the TA being low cause the algea to grow ? also last weeke end i added some water to the pool.

TA has nothing to do with algae. Algae grows in a pool because there is not enough chlorine to kill it. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School to get a better grasp of the chemistry.

You also do not report CYA which is an essential part of your pool chemistry.

Ok been filtering round the.clock brushing and.robot is running to back.washed.a.few.times.In past 4 days water looks.good but algae keeps.coming back set of.new number s
FC 10
CC 0
TC 10
PH. 7.5
CH 220
CYA 100 + plus cause the full line is.just under the 100 grad line so .guess like 120?? Any advise is appropriate ed
Also there is little viewing bubble.on my valve which one can see the water when.backwashing there was some.green algea in there I bleached it and ran the back.wash rinse every time I backwashed it is algea free now

There's your problem! The dreaded "CYA too high" piece of the equation. Whenever your CYA is over 100, we know it could actually be much higher. The only remedy is to do a partial drain(s). Depending upon your location (please add later to your sig), you may have a high water table to be aware of. FB pools like our also have cautions about lowering the water level. But you need to remove/exchange water to lower the CYA or you will never be able to keep enough FC (chlorine) in there to compensate.

Try doing a 25% drain if you can. You actually may need to do 2-3 of those to get your CYA down to a respectable 50-60 range. Only after you lower the CYA can you then start a "SLAM" to really attack the algae.

- - - Updated - - -

Step 1, do a partial drain(s) to lower CYA somewhere between 40-60. The lower you go, the less bleach you will use during a SLAM
Step 2, Read-up and prepare for the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain be ready to reference the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart as well.

After the drains and lowering of CYA, make sure you lower pH to 7.2 before starting the SLAM.

Thank you I thought the CYA was high any idea what it drifts up BTW I am I
In NJ
The only way to raise the CYA level is to add CYA.

I see an "Astral inline Chlorinator" in your signature, how have you been chlorinating your pool?

You are aware that chlorine tablets add almost as much CYA as they do chlorine, right?

Dom

Yeah, that was a very possible scenario. Past use of tablets/pucks and also those bags of shock from the pool store. You've heard the saying, "I'm going to bomb my pool this weekend", well, while they added some chlorine, they are adding tons of stabilizer. Hence, the extremely high CYA most people didn't know about. The pool store sure won't tell you that. :)

I have been using the chlorine pucks and some bleach as well but usage of the chlorine tablets are fairly low compare to previous years I am draining the pool as I post this my chlorine level has been around 10 all this season I realize it must be lower oncei get theCYAlevel down I will keep the chlorine level much lower another issue I have has been the trees I get a lot of air born pollen leaves also frogs mouse in the pool this pool is a magnet for various critters as well as bats diving in once the sun goes down son lts of visitors that's why I am a bit worried so that keep the chlorine high to combat the critters entering the pool and drowning

OK drained the pool fill the tank up with water again I got some new numbers
FC. 3
CC. 0
TC. 3
T/A 80
PH. 7.2
CH. 170
CYA 60
water is clear the temperature is around 72 I added one gallon of bleach this morning and that should bring it up to about 8 for the chlorine level any thoughts on this I appreciate your help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK drained the pool fill the tank up with water again I got some new numbers
FC. 3
CC. 0
TC. 3
T/A 80
PH. 7.2
CH. 170
CYA 60
water is clear the temperature is around 72 I added one gallon of bleach this morning and that should bring it up to about 8 for the chlorine level any thoughts on this I appreciate your help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.