Green trying to come back

past 3 days the Green algea is trying to come back here are some #s
    FC 10
    CC 0
    TC 10
    PH 7.2
    TA 30
    Calcium Hardness 210
    I floowed the pool calulator and added goods to bring the TA up to 90 and PH to 7.8 the water is a bit cloudy due to algea but i still see the floor of the pool ant thoughts ? can the TA being low cause the algea to grow ? also last weeke end i added some water to the pool.
    19000 Gal. Fiberglass Inground 44x18 irregular shape pool
    Heat Siphon heater , Cooper Ind. Ranger Series Sand Filter, 3/4 HP Speck pump, Astral inline Chlorinator
    Aquacheck and TF100 tester
    NJ USA

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Green trying to come back

TA has nothing to do with algae. Algae grows in a pool because there is not enough chlorine to kill it. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School to get a better grasp of the chemistry.

You also do not report CYA which is an essential part of your pool chemistry.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Agreed,

Algae grows when there isn't enough free Chlorine in the water and TA is irrelevant to that. Please post the Cya level, and let's work it from there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok been filtering round the.clock brushing and.robot is running to back.washed.a.few.times.In past 4 days water looks.good but algae keeps.coming back set of.new number s
    FC 10
    CC 0
    TC 10
    PH. 7.5
    CH 220
    CYA 100 + plus cause the full line is.just under the 100 grad line so .guess like 120?? Any advise is appropriate ed
    Also there is little viewing bubble.on my valve which one can see the water when.backwashing there was some.green algea in there I bleached it and ran the back.wash rinse every time I backwashed it is algea free now
    Heat Siphon heater , Cooper Ind. Ranger Series Sand Filter, 3/4 HP Speck pump, Astral inline Chlorinator
    NJ USA

5. Back To Top    #5

There's your problem! The dreaded "CYA too high" piece of the equation. Whenever your CYA is over 100, we know it could actually be much higher. The only remedy is to do a partial drain(s). Depending upon your location (please add later to your sig), you may have a high water table to be aware of. FB pools like our also have cautions about lowering the water level. But you need to remove/exchange water to lower the CYA or you will never be able to keep enough FC (chlorine) in there to compensate.

Try doing a 25% drain if you can. You actually may need to do 2-3 of those to get your CYA down to a respectable 50-60 range. Only after you lower the CYA can you then start a "SLAM" to really attack the algae.

- - - Updated - - -

Step 1, do a partial drain(s) to lower CYA somewhere between 40-60. The lower you go, the less bleach you will use during a SLAM
    Step 2, Read-up and prepare for the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain be ready to reference the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart as well.

After the drains and lowering of CYA, make sure you lower pH to 7.2 before starting the SLAM.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you I thought the CYA was high any idea what it drifts up BTW I am I
    In NJ
    NJ USA

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by rezasaba View Post
    Thank you I thought the CYA was high any idea what it drifts up BTW I am I
    In NJ
    The only way to raise the CYA level is to add CYA.

I see an "Astral inline Chlorinator" in your signature, how have you been chlorinating your pool?

You are aware that chlorine tablets add almost as much CYA as they do chlorine, right?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah, that was a very possible scenario. Past use of tablets/pucks and also those bags of shock from the pool store. You've heard the saying, "I'm going to bomb my pool this weekend", well, while they added some chlorine, they are adding tons of stabilizer. Hence, the extremely high CYA most people didn't know about. The pool store sure won't tell you that.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have been using the chlorine pucks and some bleach as well but usage of the chlorine tablets are fairly low compare to previous years I am draining the pool as I post this my chlorine level has been around 10 all this season I realize it must be lower oncei get theCYAlevel down I will keep the chlorine level much lower another issue I have has been the trees I get a lot of air born pollen leaves also frogs mouse in the pool this pool is a magnet for various critters as well as bats diving in once the sun goes down son lts of visitors that's why I am a bit worried so that keep the chlorine high to combat the critters entering the pool and drowning
    NJ USA

10. Back To Top    #10

OK drained the pool fill the tank up with water again I got some new numbers
    FC. 3
    CC. 0
    TC. 3
    T/A 80
    PH. 7.2
    CH. 170
    CYA 60
    water is clear the temperature is around 72 I added one gallon of bleach this morning and that should bring it up to about 8 for the chlorine level any thoughts on this I appreciate your help
    NJ USA

11. Back To Top    #11

Looking much better! Wow. Temp of 72. Mine was like 90 yesterday. Uhg.

12. Back To Top    #12

OK drained the pool fill the tank up with water again I got some new numbers
    FC. 3
    CC. 0
    TC. 3
    T/A 80
    PH. 7.2
    CH. 170
    CYA 60
    water is clear the temperature is around 72 I added one gallon of bleach this morning and that should bring it up to about 8 for the chlorine level any thoughts on this I appreciate your help
    NJ USA

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

8 would be great, lol.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

14. Back To Top    #14

Huh?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes cause I just replaced almost 5k gallons with fresh water
    NJ USA

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Huh?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes cause I just replaced almost 5k gallons with fresh water

An FC of 8 is a good spot for a CYA of 60, is what I meant.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

16. Back To Top    #16

once i get the algea under control how often should i add plain bleach if i stop using the chlorine tablets?
    NJ USA

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

once i get the algea under control how often should i add plain bleach if i stop using the chlorine tablets?
    I test & add daily. Takes about 10 minutes of my time

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

ok so far water is blue and clear drained some more water today and added some to bring the CYA down to my goal of 30
    NJ USA