Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Skimmer and returns - Pentair pump + sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Hayward Skimmer and returns - Pentair pump + sand filter

I am planning to pipe in my Coleman 16x48 AGP with a Hayward thru-wall skimmer. I have read numerous post about this and have a question - should I pipe as follows:

1. Add the Hayward skimmer and keep the factory output as an additional output with ball valve to control skimmer force while adding a home-made pvc fountain and factory return eyeball, giving me 2 outputs (original +skimmer) and 2 returns (original +fountain)

or

2. Add the Hayward skimmer and change the factory output to an additional eyeball return pointing in same counter-clockwise direction giving me additional return power with ball valve as well as adding a home-made pvc fountain T'd off of the original return that can be used to "balance" the input and outputs of the pump/filter.

or - I am thinking too much into this and should just do whats easiest and looks best?

I have read that some have issues with not getting enough water through the system related to pressure. I realize they may have filter issues or using inadequate piping- I am going to use all 1 1/2 pvc piping, with a Pentair dynamo 1HP pump and Crystal Bay 19" sand filter
    16x48 Coleman AGP - Hayward SP1091LX Skimmer
    Pentair Dynamo 1HP Pump/Hayward 18" sand filter
    Located in Mid-MO

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Skimmer and returns - Pentair pump + sand filter

I'd go for the more returns, single skimmer option. #2
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Ditto to option #2. Take the flow option.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the feedback
    Located in Mid-MO

5. Back To Top    #5

I got the skimmer installed and swapped out the stock return/outlet ports with hayward 3/4" eyeball - with both pointing counter-clockwise my floating chlorinator is doing laps in the pool. - next rigid PVC with fountain - Have to go change signature
    Located in Mid-MO