INTRO - New house and Coleman AGP owner

Aug 11, 2015
MO
Hello, I recently moved into a new house with a rather large back yard (like 35,000 sq ft) and the kids talked me into a pool, just wanted to throw together one since it was so late in the season and decided on a Coleman 16x48 AGP. I have a little experience with pools as I had a metal sided AGP a few years ago but storm+tree limb took care of that. I still have all the equipment from that pool just no metal sides, liner or top-rails. I am looking to add the old equipment to the new pool along with a Hayward skimmer a fountain and pvc piping I currently have an intex over the side skimmer. I want to make modifications that are able to move to a larger pool in future as my little ones get bigger.

I did put a little work into initial site setup as I had extra retaining wall bricks and made a nice pad using 3 inches of waste lime and 2 inches of fine sand under the pool. My initial "SLAM" worked out and everything seems to be in control, I look forward to all the helpful advice I have been reading on this site.

I will post some pics of the current bone stock pool as I have read people like pics :)

Thanks

Good call on the Hayward skimmer. It's a huge upgrade to the over the wall type, and will keep your pool much cleaner. Plus the kids can't knock it off while roughhousing in the pool.

Attachments

• pool site1.jpg
    pool site1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 42
  • pool site2.jpg
    pool site2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 44
  • pool site3.jpg
    pool site3.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 43
That is some nice pool site you did there! Is it as level as it looks???

Those froggies! CUTE!

The next set of pics are not showing :( You might have to use photobucket or such to add more. PLEASE do!

The test kit you have is a very basic kit. There a couple of things it does not test for that are VERY important to maintaining a pool for the long term.

I am guessing that you will be leaving this pool up over the winter? If you are going to leave it up and not drain it down each winter you might want to invest in one of the kits we use and love here at TFP. The kits are in my siggy below and where to buy them is there also.

We do not use "guess strips" as they are not reliable at all we have found over time and experience.

How old are your kids?

Kim

The site turned out pretty level would guess within 1/2" per waterline after adding the sand. I didnt have a transit so just used string and line levels.

I was actually planning on taking it down for the winter, it gets pretty cold out here and the wife wants a deck around it next year so will start on that in Spring.

I will look into the better test kit and throw away the strips lol.

Kids are boy 13, girl 9, girl 6 and boy 16 months

put the pics in photobucket:View attachment 41634

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j387/mcampbell1981mcampbell1981/pool site4_zps0kirxuke.jpg

I got the new skimmer installed and swapped out the stock return/outlet ports with hayward 3/4" eyeball - with both pointing counter-clockwise my floating chlorinator is doing laps in the pool. :whoot: - next rigid PVC with fountain - Have to go change signature. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support