Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Normal PSI

1. Back To Top    #1

Normal PSI

I am new (first post). Not sure I'm doing this right....if I'm not....I would appreciate some guidance. I have an in ground gunnite pool (16x34).....Triton 2 sand filter....Hayward SP 1.0hp pump. The pump is brand new, install two days ago.....replacing the exact same model of pump...with no changes in plumbing. I immediately back washed the filter. The psi read 17. My old pump "base" psi was 12. Should I be concerned with the new psi of 17? Seems high. Does that indicate I should not back wash until the psi reaches 27? Any advise is appreciated......thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Normal PSI

Welcome to the forum.

At first glance, it would seem your new pump is "pushing harder" but that may not be the case. Did you do anything else that would cause more resistance on the pressure side. did you do anything else that would have reduced any restrictions on the suction side? In short, is the new pump the ONLY variable? Is it the same gauge?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

South Central PA

You may want to post this in the Pumping Station section if you haven't received an answer.....
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

4. Back To Top    #4
    Central Minnesota

If 17 is your new "clean" pressure, you certainly don't want to wait until 27 psi to backwash. The recommendations here are to backwash at 25% increase in filter pressure. For you that would be 21-22 psi.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons