My first pool has been a headache!!!

Aug 12, 2015
Wilmington NC
Hello everyone... around the end of june i purchased a Intex 26'x52" round pool... got it up and assembled on what i thought was pretty level ground... well i was wrong.. that was the least of my problems though... i put the pool together as intex says and started to fill... my only option for water in my area is well water because they don't offer county water on my street... so i started filling off my well through a water softener.. i figured i was pumping 5 gal a min so i let it run for couple hours and then i turned it off and did a regen on the water softener.. thinking this would give me nice water for the pool.... well after about 3 or 4 days of filling it this way the pool started to turn brown.. i did some research and found to use the bucket filter method... so i set off on that... well my breaker tripped over night one night and the pump quit running.. went out the next morning and the water was crystal clear with a layer of orange rust on the bottom of the pool... i did my best to get it clear before the 4th of july so we could use it.. well on the 4th i couldn't figure out why my yard was so wet so i went on trying to figure out why it was getting wet... come to find out there was a hole in the bottom of the pool the size of a pencil eraser that was leaking... so i called intex since it was less than a month old.. they sent me a new liner.. so i set on draining it.. got it all drained and broken down waiting for my new liner... once the liner came in got it back up and figured i would try the bucket method to fill it... well it didn't work that great... started getting a orange tint to the water again.. note it wasn't as bad as the first time but none the less still orange.. so this gets us to last friday... i put some iron out in the pool set the bucket filter back up coming from the pump and went to filtering.. after about 2 days the water was clear.. this included cleaning filters about every 6 hours and the bucket each time as well... that brings me to today... i checked the levels and came up with 0 chlorine because i haven't put any in.. a pH of 8.4 and a little high alkalinity... i went and purchased some Muratic acid and poured about 35 ounces into the 14,600 gallon pool.. well see how that goes... after that I'm going to dump about 45 ounces of 12% liquid chlorine into it as well hopefully i can get it swimable before this weekend beacause my wife is upset that she can't swim into her pool after having it for ALMOST 2 months.. other than that i have ordered a sand filter for it and a through wall skimmer.. what have y'all done to cap off the intakes in the side of the intex pools because i was told i didn't need them with the skimmer... how true is that ??

Hello draggin, and Welcome to TFP,

Please specify what test kit you are using.

Also please fill out your Signature Information so we can better assist you. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

You can also edit your Signature from this page by clicking on drop down beside Forum Actions at the top of the page---->then click on General Settings-----> then look down the left hand side of you page go to My Settings---->Edit Signature.

One of our knowledgeable members will be with you shortly to help you figure out how to correct the issues you are having.

Again Welcome, and Have a Wonderful Night!

I am using the Clorox Multi-Use Smart Strips for testing as well as having it electronically tested by a friend who works for a water company.. and i plan on using a vacuum through the skimmer... I am eventually going to hard pipe everything but probably not this year.. only other thing I'm going to add is going to be a hayward Chlorinator.. but your style pool is like the one my father in law has... OH.. is there any particular distance that i need to have between the skimmer and the in jet of my pool ?? i have heard across the pool (round pool) and then i have heard within 6 feet..

fortunately we don't get a whole lot of steady wind here honestly. And also i wasn't sure with it being a round pool... i would like to be able to use the factory tubing that came with the pump if possible.. i placed the pump on the back side of the pool so i couldn't see it from the house and would like to keep all the equipment back there if i could. I am getting ready to install a power post back there as well so i don't have to run a drop cord.. i know it says not to run the drop cord but its only temporary..