Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cracking concrete around tile and stains - How To Fix

1. Back To Top    #1

La Habra, CA

Cracking concrete around tile and stains - How To Fix

Hi, I have some small cracks around the edge of the pool just above the tile (middle pic). What is the best way to patch these areas? Do I use concrete, caulk, or something like that?

Also there are dark stains around the top of the tile pieces (bottom pic). Is there any way to remove this?

Finally I have a piece of rectangle concrete that has broken away from the surrounding pieces (first pic). I can pick it up if I wanted. What holds the blocks in place? Is it concrete or some kind of grout?

I have attached pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David Perrin
    25,000 gal in ground pool. Plaster construction with Jandy filter (460 sq ft) and Stealth 1 hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cracking concrete around tile and stains - How To Fix

Sikaflex works well for cracks and voids. They sell it at home depot and it's manageable for a diy'er.
    13K Gallon IG Pool/Spa -- First time pool owners -- Completed in 2015 Caribbean Blue Pebble Tec Pentair 4000 Series 47 sq. ft. D.E. Filter Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump Pentair SWG Jandy LXi Heater 400,000 BTU S.R. Smith Typhoon Slide Pentair LED 12v Lights Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Cleaner TF-100 Test Kit
    Our Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Cracking concrete around tile and stains - How To Fix

You should clean out all the old grout first and then replace with a polyurethane caulk all along the crack.

The loose coping should be put back by, again, grinding down all the old thin set and then replacing with new thinset.

In both cases, a DIY person can do this but it takes some care and experience or reading more about it.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School