Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Coping-travertine or concrete?? Decision for tomorrow

1. Back To Top    #1

Coping-travertine or concrete?? Decision for tomorrow

I want travertine and know i will have to seal it since we are doing salt. I am wavering back and forth to just do the concrete Coping.

Question- for those that have salt with travertine, any regrets?
    Build starting in Aug 2015, 115 ft perimeter 654 feet, IG gunite freeform with spa, 3 hp Pentair VS intelliflow
    520 sq feet Pentair cartridge, Pentair 400 heater, Polaris 280, SWG, travertine coping

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Coping-travertine or concrete?? Decision for tomorrow

We are putting in a salt water pool with travertine coping. I don't have experience, but I have read that sealing it with Stonetech sealer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CR12V4) helps...
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I have un-sealed travertine coping and salt and have no problems or regrets so far. Pool was built in 2013 so will be the 2 year anniversary in about two weeks. No visable signs of any issues. And I have a Aquapure EI system that requires a higher salt level than most systems so I've been running at about a 4,500ppm salt level. I asked the builder about sealing the coping when the pool was built and he said there won't be any issues. He said that I would actually have an issue sealing it as it could make it slippery.

If your going to do a travertine I would recommend going with a 2" thick (5cm) travertine. This is a link of what I have on my pool:
    https://www.msistone.com/pool-coping...m-pool-coping/

Here is a pic of my pool during the build. Before filled, then shortly after.
    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...d/P1030438.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...d/P1030475.jpg
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I know what I would do, but I hesitate to advise you.

My pool builder said "salt or stone, pick either one, but you can't have both". My pool was designed and built as a salt pool, with no stone of any kind anywhere. No coping, just a cantilever edge concrete deck, and even that has a textured acrylic coating protecting it. Nothing anywhere for the salt to damage.

Travertine is not one of the very soft porous stones like flag stone, but all stone is subject to salt damage. Sealer will slow, but not prevent salt from eroding stone. In hot dry climates the salt damage is worse, so at least that's in your favor. Your pool, your choice.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Jv92red- do you think the bullnose is worth the extra money? We were going to go with straight edge.

6. Back To Top    #6

We are having travertine coping and deck with saltwater installed on our new pool. We live in south Florida. A lot of the pools here have it. And I just love the look.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Dreynolds View Post
    We are having travertine coping and deck with saltwater installed on our new pool. We live in south Florida. A lot of the pools here have it. And I just love the look.
    With the rains you have in Florida, it shouldn't be a problem.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Florida SWG pool... Sealed travertine... No regrets.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Jenfromok View Post
    Jv92red- do you think the bullnose is worth the extra money? We were going to go with straight edge.
    Hard to say. Depends on how much your builder will charge you to bullnose it then you can decide from there. The coping I went with linked in my post above was a upgraded travertine that comes already bullnosed. I believe it was maybe ~1k? upgrade to Travertine from bullnosed brick that my builder provides as standard offering. Regarding the feel of bullnosed coping I'm sure that most here would agree that it sure is nice to have a smooth surface to have pressed up against you while your trying to exit the pool without any steps or shelf to assist you. But the straight edge is still very attractive and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

Upon further look at your other build thread, I see that the travertine your looking at does not have any fill or little if any as far as I can tell. The Travertine in the link above that I used is mostly epoxy filled so while there are still some areas for the salt to get in and start to erode away, the surface is mostly very smooth, you can say its almost a honed finish. This is why my builder said not to seal it as it would be slippery. The travertine your going with would not suffer the same issues sealed as it's very porous.
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you for the information. My builder did not charge me to upgrade to travertine which is unheard of around here. It would be $500 to upgrade to bullnose though.

11. Back To Top    #11

I am doing straight edge travertine, here is a pic of how it looks on my build. May help you decide. I think the thicker stone would have been nice, but so was saving a bit of coin. I used 1.25 inch travertine.

Rectangular pool 28x16 and spa 8x7, 17,000 gallons, IG, Tropics Blue Mini-Pebble, Jandy 60 DE filter, saltwater cell, Jandy VS pump, 1.5 hp Jandy spa pump, 400k heater, 5' Sheer Descent with 1 hp Jandy pump, Jandy color LED lights. Build Thread