Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Cut In Wrong Spot - Can you patch Fiberglass? Intaller says yes

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Skimmer Cut In Wrong Spot - Can you patch Fiberglass? Intaller says yes

Hi everyone. We are in the process of having a Viking fiberglass pool installed. Pool was delivered today. At the end of the day after the installers had left I went out to check things out and noticed they had cut and installed the skimmer in the wrong spot. I contacted the installer immediately and he told me it's not a problem, that they can take the piece they cut out and put it back and have it patched professionally. He said they would use the same gel coat to finish it and we will not see the patch.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance, I'm pretty upset this happened.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer Cut In Wrong Spot - Can you patch Fiberglass? Intaller says yes

They repair gel coat boat finishes all the time.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Woodyp. The patch is concerning us as we worry the overal integrity of the pool has been compromised and if there is a leak down the road it won't be warrantied and we'll be on the hook to repair it but we are not responsible for the error.

The builder says it will be fine and we won't be able to tell it has been patched and I am really hoping thats true.

Thanks again for the response.

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree that fiberglass can be patched. I have a Viking pool and have seen other Viking pools at home shows etc and they all came from the factory with the skimmer already attached. I wonder why yours did not.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Can you leave the skimmer in that spot? He'll love you and cut you a deal on something, I bet.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Would love to leave it there but there is a tanning ledge going in that exact spot!

The installer said its his fault he forgot to have the hole moved by viking and his guys proceeded to finish the cut and installed the skimmer. According to him Viking cuts 3 sides and they finish the 4th cut on site. I have lots of footage and pics and do not see any cuts so I really think they just screwed up and put it in the wrong spot.