Caretaker 99 sounds like water hammer?

I just replaced my internal gear assembly in my caretaker 99 in floor cleaner box. Prior to replacing, it was making a fairly noticeable knock every time it cycled to a different set of heads.

After replacing, the same problem exists. Could it be air trapped in the line somewhere underground causing the water hammer effect?

Thanks Dan

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Water hammer is caused by a sudden change in the velocity of water so if it is happening with a change of the zone valve, than that is probably what is causing the problem. But what has changed?

Did it ever not make that noise?

Did you change the pump recently?

Has the filter pressure change?

Any change in the plumbing could be significant.

A caretaker making that noise isn't uncommon. You could add an accumulator (small air tank) to the system and it usually helps the noise a bit. Most systems filters trap enough air and have enough 'give' that water hammer isn't usually noticed.

Ok thanks

I thought about adding an accumulator as well as you suggest.

Using the gauge and air bleed device on top of my filter housing I ensure no air is trapped in the filter. Maybe I should not bleed that off and see if it helps.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had this same noise coming from my Caretaker - it's quite disconcerting isn't it?

I adjusted the Jandy valve going to the caretaker to be open just a tiny bit, not enough to have the Caretaker running, and left it like that for about an hour or so. I then turned it back to fully open and the noise was gone and has been working fine ever since.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.